Waitomo ...... it's light,dark cold and cool!

Waitomo Travel Blog

Geysers

Rotorua is a nice place to stay for 2-3 days but I only stayed there for one night. The morning we left Rotorua, we went to the Te Puia site. This is a place where you can get to know more about Maori culture and watch the geysers. It's also the place where I've seen the Kiwi bird for the first time. The Kiwi is a nocturnal bird which is seen rarely. It looks like a big dark brown chicken. I'm quite excited to have seen a Kiwi bird. Too bad we aren't allowed to take pictures of it.

Just before we arrived in Waitomo, we visited a farm where they sheared Angora rabbits. I had no idea that rabbits can be sheared. These rabbits look so cute and they're huge. It almost looks like a dog.

This is a real rabbit!
The shearing looks really cruel. For the people who has seen the ending of the movie Braveheart, it's a similar ritual. This tour was very random, but actually also very cool.

Waitomo is a very small village. Despite the population of 80 people, this village has more than 20 hostels/hotels. We stayed in a very nice hostel where I got a room on my own (and no bunk beds!). Very nice. The reason for the many accomodations is that Waitomo has one major attraction, the glow worm caves. There are many tours from Waitomo to these glow worm caves. The one I've done is called "The Black Abyss" provided by The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co.

The Black Abyss is an adventurous caving experience. You'll need to be flexible and (a bit) in shape to do this tour. Also, if you're claustrofobic, don't do this tour.

Team Black Water Rafting
Snappy is the name of our tourguide. She seemed to be very tough and strict in the beginning but after a while she became very entertaining. This tour includes special gear which you'll need to wear to do the activities. You get gumboots, a wetsuit, a caving helmet with lights and a harness for abseiling. During this tour you'll also get some snacks and warm drinks. The water in the cave is freezing cold but you won't notice it after a while because of the intensive activities you'll be doing in the caves. I can tell more about the activities of this tour but I won't. There are some surprises during this tour and I don't want to spoil all the fun in case you are considering coming to New Zealand and do this tour too.

Some activities during this tour: walking, crawling, jumping, sliding. gliding, "flying", swimming, abseiling (40 metres down through a limestone hole), tubing, climbing (up on a waterfall!). You will also get to see stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, cave coral and of course glow wormes. It sounds adventurous and dangerous and I'll admit, it is. One of our group member bruised her ribs during this tour. Though the guides are truly professionals, there's always a chance of accidents which makes this tour even more appealing for the adventurists. Seriously, this cave experience is one of the coolist thing I've done in my life. A must-do when you're in New Zealand.

Next destination: Raglan.

daevild says:
Wow, wow and wow. I read your last 3 blogs and again wow! You just surprise me again and again with all your fabulous adventures.

I just lost count of all those new experiences of yours during your trip. You will have so much more experiences when you come back from your trip wow! I don't think I can catch up to you in the coming 10 years!

Posted on: Nov 30, 2008