No worries mate!

Sydney Travel Blog

The Firefly bus!

A couple years ago I took a bus from London (Ontario, Canada) to New York (USA). The bus ride was 14 hours in total. It was the worst bus ride ever! Someone on the bus took off his shoes and in no time the whole bus had this horrible feet smell. The smell was so bad that it woke me up. The bus driver gave several warnings to this person and demanded he put on his shoes. A few hours later, this person got off the bus but nevertheless, it took a while before the smell was away. I decided never to go on a long bus ride again.

My bus trip from Melbourne to Sydney took 12 hours. The bus is by far the cheapest way to travel to Sydney.

Sydney Opera House
(There were no special offers for airplane or train tickets). It wasn't bad. I had the best seats. The best and the worst thing of this ride was the movie (Superhero movie) they played on the bus. It's in the top 10 of the worst movies I've ever seen. The good thing was that this movie made me fall asleep for two hours. At 7:00am I arrived in Sydney.

The hostel were I stayed in Sydney is called Wake Up! This hostel is really good. It looks really nice (this hostel won awards for best large hostel in the world). The matresses are good. Showers could be better. This hostel has its own bar/restaurant offering a steak meal for 7 AUD. I stayed in a room with three Irish backpackers. All really nice and they told me stories about life in Ireland and alcohol. Really funny!!! Thanx Avril, Sinead and Steve!

The things I've done in Sydney:

Sydney Opera House.

View from Botanic Garden
When you see a picture of Sydney, you would most likely look at a picture of the Sydney Opera House. Seeing the Opera House in real life was a little bit disappointing. Though the architecture is really stunning, really good, but the building looks old if you stand right next to it. The arches arent that white as I imagined it would be. It's a little bit greyish, yellow. Also the walls looks old. I didn't go inside the building.

Next to the Opera House is the famous Royal Botanic Gardens. Just like the other botanic gardens I've visited, it's great. The view from the park to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge is great. The Botanic Garden is famous because it holds a big population of flying foxes. It's really impressive to see so many huge bats. Yes, this is a really nice garden.

Harbour Bridge

On the other side of the Opera House is the Harbour Bridge. This is the famous bridge that connect north and south Sydney. There is a possibility to climb this bridge. Of course, being a tourist/backpacker, I had to climb this bridge. I did the night climb because it's 10 AUD cheaper and you'll a voucher which gives you access to go up on the pylon of the bridge by day. The climb is completely safe and the people who work there are really good. In all honesty, the price/quality ratio is bad. Don't get me wrong, the bridge climb is really fun to do, it's a great attraction but it's really expensive (too much for the average backpacker). Also, you aren't allowed to take your own camera with you, only the guide has a camera and he takes pictures of you while you're on the bridge.

Some kangeroos and a big bird
The pictures are ridiculously expensive. In conclusion, the bridge climb is real fun to do but if you're on a tight budget, don't do it. Just pay about 10 AUD to go up on the pylon where you can take as many pictures as you want.

I've been in Australia for about three weeks and I haven't seen a kangeroo or koala. This is just unacceptable so I had to go to a place where I could find these animals. Sydney has a famous zoo and a wildlife park but I didn't go to either of these places. A backpacker (thanx Nina!) advised me to go to Featherdale Wildlife Park, just outside Sydney. It's a small park where you can get up, close and personal with the kangeroos and koalas. I really like this park because most animals aren't locked in cages. The kangeroos can jump pretty much wherever they want.

Bondi Beach
The koalas are really cute but I didn't cuddle any of the koalas because that is in my opinion just wrong/unnatural. I have found my favourite animal in this park. It's the wombat. These hairy pigs are so cute. Yep, this park is well worth visiting.

The most famous beach of Sydney is Bondi beach. I was planning to stay there for just an hour but I ended up staying there for more than 6 hours. I like this beach. The water is very cold but I really like swimming in/on the waves. It's so good. According to many backpackers Coogee beach in Sydney is better. I didn't go there, but if Coogee is better than Bondi, it must be a really great beach.

A must do in Sydney is the Blue Mountains. The Blue Mountains is a national park near Sydney. There are many tours that will take you to many places in this park, but we decided to walk to the different sites.

The Three Sisters
It would save us money and the highlights aren't too far from the train station. Moreover, we all have a good level of fittness (one of the group has just left the Israelian army after three years of service). The Blue Mountains is a beautiful park. The walks in this park are good, but some of them can be very challenging (about 1000 staircases!). We were very lucky that the weather was great (not too hot). The Blue Mountains has made a big impression on me.

I had a great time in Australia. I have met many people and done many activities I've always wanted to do and went to places I wanted to visit. The cities I've visited are okay. I didn't really like Cairns (for tourists), Melbourne is okay and Sydney is great but I reckon that Europe has many cities that are better (worth visiting) than Sydney.

Me and my new best friend!
However, the places outside the cities (Great Barrier Reef, Great Ocean Road, Blue Mountains) are just awesome and really worth to visiting which makes Australia unique and appealling for many travellers. It's a pity that I haven't visit the outbacks but it will be a good reason for me to come back to Australia and go to the remote areas. It's time for me to leave Australia and visit the youngest country on Earth.

Next destination: Aotearoa

daevild says:
Hi Wing,

Sorry for my late comment :D, I was just too lazy to create a new travbuddy account.

I just want you to know that I really really enjoy to read your blog. The way jou discribe your adventure, the way jou take those beautifull pictues it just makes me want to travel, right now!

It is also nice to see that you are enjoying your trip at the other side of the third rock from the sun. Yes of course I can see that, just look at your smile on your pictures and you making the V-sign ;). Btw I think it is a good thing that you send us some pictures of yourself once in a while so we can still recognize you when you come back, because I really see an evolution between the first and the last blog.... You are staring to evolve into a real backpacker (notice how the skin changes from whit to bronze and notice the white backpackers sunglasses mark on the fase, Wing is a real backpacker).

It is also nice to know that you have made some friends over there, it doesn't surprise me because at this side of the third rock from the sun, everybody likes Wing. Just say hi to your friend over there from me.

Well I will stop making comment today and let you travel along, so go on exploring the world!

David

(Reading your blog makes me forget the cold weather over here just for a while, thx)
Posted on: Nov 06, 2008
ngaiconnie says:
Hey Wing,
Great update.. looks like you are having a good time and the weather looks so nice!! Don't worry you aren't missing much from over here in Europe, its cold, wet and dark!!
Gub..
Posted on: Nov 06, 2008
Koala 1
Koala 1
Koala 2,3 and 4
Koala 2,3 and 4
Featherdale Wildlife Park
Featherdale Wildlife Park
The most expensive picture ever!
The most expensive picture ever!
Flying foxes