Lake Mahinapua ...... victory at the Poo-bar!

Lake Mahinapua Travel Blog

Looks like the Great Ocean Road

We left Westport at 9:30am. That's really late because normally the Kiwibus leaves around 7-8 in the morning. We are heading to the south along the west coast. According to some sources (=the bus driver and all other kiwi's), this road (Highway 6) is more beautiful than the Great Ocean Road. What he didn't mention is that Highway 6 is more than thousand kilometres long and the Great Ocean Road just 270km. I have to admit, this road is spectacular but I will try to describe the scenery of every stage in my next blogs.

We went from Westport to Lake Mahinapua. Certain parts really look like the Great Ocean Road. Especially the cliffs really look similar to the ones I've seen in Australia.

Pancake Rocks
Along the way we stopped at the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. The Pancake Rocks are a series of stratified limestone stacks which, over many thousands of years, have been eroded to resemble giant piles of stacked pancakes. It's quite amazing to see these pancake rocks. Another feature of this park are the blowholes. These can clearly be seen at high tide or in heavy weather. It's beautiful to see the spray coming out of these blowholes but it is really hard to take a picture of the spray.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, the bus driver organised many activities to get the group closer together. While we were on our way to Lake Mahinapua, we played the Pretzel game. This game caused lots of excitement on the busand somehow, my group (the right side of the bus) won.

Crazy ABC-theme at the Poo-bar
The left side had to buy us a drink later that night.

We also stopped in Greymouth. This town doesn't look really exciting, however it's the starting (or ending) point of one of the world's greatest train journeys, the Tranzalpine. There is also a brewery tour in this town, Monteith Brewing Co., but unfortunately I found that out later when we had left this place. The main activity for us here was to buy our stuff for tonight's theme party, ABC (Anything But Clothes).

When we arrived at Lake Mahinapua, we were welcomed by the only inhabitant of this place. His name is Uncle Les. He and his employee cooked us a wonderful dinner. I had a huge steak (I think it was more than 500 grams!), some kumara's and vegetables. Pretty much everyone couldn't finish their plates because the portions were just too big.

Me and busdriver smiley

Later that night we had our ABC party. I bought wrap paper, tape and a hat for NZ$12. I got a carton box for free. So, I made a costume for that night. I was dressed up as a Christmas gift. Once again not a cool costume but it worked quite well. Cool costumes at that party were kiwibus!, laundry basket, tin (foil) man, Christmas tree, trash bin and many more. It was really great that everybody made an effort to make a great costume. I didn't know people can look so cool in a bin bag or shower curtain (as Ariel of The Little Mermaid). Somehow people voted me as the best costume of the night and I was awarded with a really cool prize! I will tell what the prize is in one of my next blog. Anyway, I would like to thank everyone that voted for me!!!

Next destination: Franz Josef