Kia Ora Aotearoa!

Auckland Travel Blog

New Zealand is right there.

I think I was 15 years old when I saw on CNN travel an episode about New Zealand. The diversity of this country made a huge impression on me and I was determined to visit New Zealand. Well, here I am. Some quick facts about New Zealand: It's seven times bigger than the Netherlands (and 2 times bigger than England), population: 4.3 mln people and a few Hobbits, about 41 mln sheep and Lord of the Rings was shot in this country.

My flight from Sydney to Auckland was great. The Emirates is really a great airline company, one of the best services, facilities I had on an airplane. In Auckland, I stayed at Base hostel. I really had no idea what to do in Auckland. The first thing I had to do was to go to the supermarket.

First night out in New Zealand.
On my way there I met two locals. Both confirmed what I expected Kiwi's would be. These people are really nice. One even offered me a free sailing trip through the harbour of Auckland (bad thing for me I forgot the pier name and number :(  ). This lady also told me about great places to eat/drink. The one she recommended were indeed really good! I think I will like it here.

When I was in Australia, many backpackers told me they've met many Dutch backpackers in New Zealand. I've just met a few in Australia. The first person I talked to in New Zealand was Dutch. This lady from customs at the airport asked me all kinds of questions in Dutch. Basically, the only important thing for her was whether my shoes were clean or not. At the hostel I planned to sleep very early because I was very tired.

Kiwi bus.
Just before I went to my room, I met two Dutch backpackers. We decided to go to the bar next door for a drink. A guy who worked at the hostel went along with us and kept ordering us all kinds of drinks. Free drinks all night long! After many beers, shots and karaoke we ended at 6:30 am at McDonalds ordering our breakfast. Not too bad for my first night in New Zealand.

I've been thinking how to travel around New Zealand. Should I buy/rent a car or should I travel by bus? According to my calculations, travelling by bus is the cheapest way to get around. The bus itinerary looks good too. The bus goes to all the places I want to visit. It's a hop-on/ hop-off bus, so I can decide when to go and how long I want to stay at the places where the bus stops. This sounds flexible enough for me.

Botanic Garden 3
The travel agency offered me a 35% discount! Well, it's a no brainer. The next two months I will be travelling through New Zealand with the Kiwi Experience.

About Auckland. I had no clue what to do in Auckland. I didn't feel like going to the Sky Tower or to Rangitoto, which is a volcano next to Auckland. I went to the Botanic Garden, which was okay but not as good as the ones I've visited in Australia. I thought Auckland was a little bit boring. Nothing to do here and the city has no dynamic, no buzzling life. I have to admit that I only stayed downtown and it was raining pretty much everyday (with occasional clear sky though). The weather has definitely an influence on my opinion about Auckland.

The highlight of my stay in Auckland is the bungy jump I've done off the Harbour Bridge.

Re-enacting my bungy jump
A bungy jump was on my "to do"-list and this bridge seemed to be a great opportunity for me to do my first bungy jump. I'll admit, it's really scary to stand up there on a platform knowing I'll have to jump from it. Before you jump, you get instructions what to do. "Jump forward if you want to go deeper down" and "pull this rope after your third bounce". After these instructions I had to wobble forward with my toes over the edge. By this time I was pretty much numbed and too afraid to look down ...... 5...4...3,2,1 ...... bungeeeeeee!!!! I was going down much faster than I expected I would go. What a rush! My hands just touched the water and at that moment I bounced up. It was very comfortable then. Great view of the harbour and city. After a couple bounces they pulled me back up on the platform. My knees were shaking of the adrenaline. It was great! (Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTduZ45HJqk). This was my first but definitely not my last bungy jump. After the jump, Auckland seemed much nicer but I was ready to move to my next destination.

Next stop: Bay of Islands.

daevild says:
3.... 2.... 1.... Great Jump WING!
You just spread your WINGs and jumped, great!
Btw, I am very glad to know that you will get a enough vitamins at New Sealand (kiwi ;).

Now I am going to read your next blog...
Posted on: Nov 13, 2008
shirlan says:
We would have to agree that Aukland itself is a bit boring. The museum was good. Heading further south, the other cities had a better atmosphere. However that is all part of the travel experience.
Posted on: Nov 12, 2008
Ready to jump.
Ready to jump.
Not nervous at all.
Not nervous at all.
My first bungy jump ever!
Auckland