Alive in Texas

Dallas Travel Blog

Alive 2008

Day 1

I love my job and the work involved, but there are times when you just have to get away and refresh yourself. I am hoping that this weekend will give me something back to refresh me. I am attending a weekend devoted to singles in the church. The beauty of it is that it is for us older singles. I didn’t realize how many of us are out there. I know there are a lot of singles, but in the church, we are sometimes the forgotten group.

Last night started of so great. I saw people who are also divorced, some who have never been married and a host of other reasons why we are at this state of our lives. It was refreshing to be able to talk to people about real issues. I love working with young people, but it is very refreshing interacting with people of my own age.

Prestoncrest where the event took place
We al laughed, sang songs, praised God and had a great time of fellowship. I am looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

Kelly Davidson, a colleague who is the Campus Minister at Texas A&M in College Station was the key note speaker for the evening. He talked about the Relentless Love of God. Man, he had everyone’s attention. It was so quiet; you could have heard a pin drop on the carpeting.  We studied out of Isaiah 43.

Day 2

Man, today was really great. We started of the morning with some great praise and worship. We sang songs that stirred so many emotions.

Kelly Davidson speaking
Songs that I hadn’t heard in so long, songs that seemed new again. I really enjoyed, “There’s a stirring.”

Tom Milholland, Kelly Davidson and some other great speakers made the breakout sessions interesting and informative. There is a book out there that is getting all the buzz called, “The Shack.” Tom gave a pretty good summary and critique of the book. I am not sure if it is my kind of book, but it offered a pretty good read. The one thing everyone in the room agreed on was that this fictional story about a man whose daughter was kidnapped and murdered and the way he response to the tragedy. He has some interesting Biblical metaphors, that some might find offensive while others may just not find them at al. If nothing else, it made for good conversation. I am not ready to have everyone I know to run out and buy, but if you are out and about and see it on a shelf, pick it up and give it quick once over.

The Aggies for Christ group, SWAT, put on a very powerful variety of skits that ranged from very funny to very serious.

some of the students from Aggies for Christ
They emphasized, in drama, the importance of a relationship with Christ and our fellow Christians. All the members of the group were full time Christian students from A&M. The group travels all over the country performing at churches, colleges and schools. You can check their website for more info at www.aggiesforchrist.org

They were followed by a very funny Christian improv group called 321. They were so funny. They had every one rolling out of their seats. There is a short clip of one of their skits. It was a great end to a fun evening.

Prestoncrest Church of Christ
Prestoncrest where the event took …
Prestoncrest where the event took…
Kelly Davidson speaking
some of the students from Aggies f…
some of the students from Aggies …
Aggies for Christ
The church
The church
Its big
It's big
The comedy troupe entertained us.
Dallas Hotels & Accommodations review
Great, centra and good valuel
I love this hotel, but I think I say that each time I stay at a Holiday Inn property. This place is very convenient for all the things I really enjoy … read entire review
28 km (17 miles) traveled