X2000 tilt train to Stockholm

Stockholm Travel Blog

Mon After our big buffet breakfast, we head out in bright sunshine once again to the Malmo Central Station. I get a water and a Herald-Tribune, and a magazine for J, and we head out for our X2000 tilt train on track 4. The crew lazily boards but locks us out until only 7 minutes before our on-time departure at 11:14. Our ticket-taking lady also takes our drink orders for lunch. In 1997 it was a full lunch with beer or wine. Now it is a sandwich and a soda. We have our own private compartment and it's rather nice. We read and plug into the music playing on the train and speed past the countryside at 120 mph top speed. The trees turn to more and more evergreens and aspens and deep blue ponds and lakes.
Stockholm Central Station (Stockholms centralstation, Stockholm C) is the largest railway station in northern Europe The station was opened July 18, 1871. Today the station is not only the largest station in Sweden, but also the largest travel centre in the Nordic region with over 250,000 visitors daily.
From Wikpedia: The vast majority of Stockholmians work in the service industry which accounts for roughly 85% of jobs in Stockholm. The almost total absence of heavy industry makes Stockholm one of the world's cleanest metropolises.
As we emerge from the station, I can't seem to get my bearings to the hostel I've been to before, and get frustrated and we're winding up back at the station again, get a map, and with that and J's GPS, and my memory kicks in again. we find it ok. We get our room using 2 entry passcodes, shoes off in the building, lock up our stuff, and soon head right out into the city. We are on a main pedestrian walkway, loads of people, but we are both feeling disoriented for some strange reason! I tell J I feel as if I just got off a 24-hr flight, he does too. Anyway, we pass a big square where a fruit, veg. and flower market is doing the last business of the day, and later get kebabs as they are closing up too. We walk more and more and are seeing one beautiful girl after another, such short skirts, and I am amazed how many more women are out than men! It's driving J crazy! Then walked on to an old observatory high over the city, folks are having picnics here. It's windy with tree seedlings blowing madly and we are loving the perfect cool air.
We return to the room about 7:30 and meet our roommate from Munich. Just 4 beds here one empty so far. Free wireless, but sheets cost me $8 to rent! We're trying to do a laundry but the one washer is busy-busy. A woman from Berlin arrives to fill the last bed, and has run a marathon, heads home tomorrow. Finally finished our laundries at midnite. German guy tells us about the Royal changing of the guard at 12:15pm tomorrow. We "youtubed it" and decide to go. Slept really well.
JudgeDredd says:
Very LONG day that was.
I remember how weird it was feeling SO tired after the long train ride.
Posted on: Nov 29, 2008