Positano to Pompeii, a special meeting! and on to crazyland Naples.

Naples Travel Blog

Sunday. Got yet another hour's bus ride to Sorrento. A lady got sick and was crying, and puking. Judge helped her with a bag and some wipes. Great dramatic scenery, but sooo many curves and speed changes...... tiring... standing room only. Used some stomach muscles on the turns. Talked with nice young couple from Dallas with their 18-month old daughter. Got a subway-like train to Pompeii, didn't trust snack bar's offer to hold bags, found Hotel Vittoria and they happily did so! Gave recep gal a gold US dollar that she really liked! Perfect! We were in the old city of Pompeii 72AD and marvelously restored. Within only about 15 minutes of entry, Judge hits me "Dave!! That's Rick Steves!! How he saw him amongst all those people blew me away. He got his picture with him, and we told him we met in Gimmelwald. Amazing. He was on a tour with 2 others and a great guide. Wow! What were the chances??? Saw him a few times more.
Relaxed in some kind of theater area with bleachers. Saw a lot of the city. We saw all that we wanted to see, and collected our bags, got back on the Circumvesuviana Railway to Naples. Saw piles and piles of garbage some smoldering, some with 4 foot flames on fire. Bizzare. Got our R2 bus to the port and now finally in our Hostel 5pm and using open wireless for the first time in a week! Girl staying in our 4 bed room is soon going home to Buenos Aires after 4 months in Europe. Nice gal. Stuffs a lot of stuff into one suitcase. A gal I referred to later as "miss New York" was there too.
Whew.. got all caught up on e-mails, saw pictures of Rick Steves....took a well-deserved shower and got pizza just around the corner. Later walked along the waterfront and the large passenger port. Judge took some good shots of Castle Nuovo lit up at night. Full moon tonite! The smell of lite garbage hangs in the air. We are very cautious about going out at night. I begin a song to the tune of "Love is in the air" but say "Garbage in the air..." but I lose the paper later in the trip, oh well...
photo by: Joost1976