Atlantic Crossing to Amsterdam, Milan and Palermo

Palermo Travel Blog

Smooth and good flight across the Atlantic to green Amsterdam, perfect connection to Milan with exciting tantalizing views of Switzerland and the snowy alps! Just before boarding a tired Alitalia MD-80 to Palermo, asked the agent to check on Judge's flight, and said he (got the much earlier-than-ticketed) will arrive Palermo 10 min before I do. As it turned out, his flight was disembarking as I was off the plane and spotted him first! This seemed the biggest risk of the trip, each of us leaving from far away and with all the travel misadventures you read about, if one of us didn't make it, well we just didn't want to go there... focusing on positive thoughts, mostly all from Judge, that all would be well. His original long layover in Rome and arrival hours after me, turned into an identical arrival time together! Greatly relieved we matched up so perfectly, we now hoped his pack would arrive on the carousel. While we were waiting, I asked an official about the bus to town, mentioned about his luggage, and he said that bag "will never come there", you have to go to customs through those doors, so told Judge and it was there, and he simply exited the entrance with it, and we got on our bus to town.
Big city, easily walked the 12 minutes or so through town, passing an outdoor market with a huge swordfish complete with sword tilted skyward, ready for another cut on it...to our Quality Inn room on the 6th floor. We need showers but are really tempted to just hang out on our patio overlooking a busy harbor. We see HUGE cruise Ships docked and cargo ships with trucks being unloaded. A busy place. View also has mountains and a coastline view that we will see tomorrow by train. We took a shower and quick nap, and went out for a pasta-swordfish-"aggplant" dish and some vino della casa. A+ but pricey, and a bit touristy as we saw later. Hey, no complaints here! Judge suggests walking this certain way and lo and behold a Huge Theater in the old carved stone neoclassical style. I am in awe. All lit up, with a large rotunda sticking out the middle of it, behind the large facade. So cool. Moon is at half, kids are milling around, and dogs are barking at each other for no apparent reason. Large Piazza in front of it. Wow. J writes: I took us down to Teatro Masimo; the 2nd largest indoor stage in all of Europe. The climatic scene in Godfather Part III was shot here. With a quarter moon hovering above the Teatro and all the columns lit up it was quite the sight. It really was!!
Palermo