New York City

New York Travel Blog

City Skyline

New York City was just going to be a drive through. I only had a few places I wanted to see, the World Trade Center site, Times Square, and The Empire State Building.

What little I know about the city comes from tv shows. I drove in through the Holland Tunnel. You had to pay. You have to pay to get into and out of the city. There must be some type of difference in people that have to pay just to leave their home town every day . I then ended up on a road alongside the water, and turned to drive down Broadway. The traffic wasn't so bad on Broadway, but the second you turned off you were stuck. It was also too expensive to park. At the Empire State Building it was going to be 17$ an hour just to park, and somebody else would park my car. I had too much stuff in my car for that.

Staten Island Ferry
It became very clear that to enjoy New York City you need to leave your car at home.

I was able to drive past Times Square, the Empire State Building and Macy's, Central Park, and the World Trade Center. I even took a side trip to find 623 E 68st, but that address doesn't exist, there is a large hospital over that address. One thing I noticed about the city is that they leave all their trash out on the street for the dump trucks to pick up. I have a picture posted. Too bad.

When I was at an intersection under the giant legs for the train, I wondered if the residents complained about the paint peeling off it. The girls in the city are the best dressed I've seen on the trip, and in a few years I'll make a trip to NYC and spend an entire week. But my first visit there was way too short. So the biggest city in the country turned into just a minor pit stop on my giant road trip. But if you're going to visit, leave your car at home.

NYC