East Montana, home of the kamikaze roadkill birds

Miles City Travel Blog

Downtown Baker Montana

Yes, it's true. I was driving west on I-94. There were dead animals every few miles, and of course you will always see birds and other animals picking at them until a car comes, then they scurry off.  The birds up ahead were grey and white; they looked like small seagulls. Usually they fly away right when they see you, but these guys were taking their time. Finally they started to fly off, but they weren't very fast, and this one bird was flying across my path and wasn't getting away fast enough. And then finally...Wham! it hit my windshield! Scared the crap out of me. I'm used to birds getting out of the way fast enough. At 80 miles per hour I hit it hard, too. It launched straight up into the air. I looked in my rear view window. It was a good thirty seconds before I saw it fall and hit the ground. What was odd was that within an hour, two more of the same type of bird hit my grill. They just wouldn't get out of the way fast enough. They need to learn to fly faster, or they'll soon be extinct. After that, there was this incredibly large dark cloud looming right over the highway. It doesn't look as ominous in the photos, but it looked like it was either going to dump rain or a tornado on me as I was driving under. Montana is also a state where gas stations sell regular unleaded at 85.5 octane instead of 87, not e-85, but regular unleaded. My car ran fine on it, but it must not work too well in the winter time.

Big Sky