Niagara Falls, Casinos and Haunted Houses

Niagara Falls Travel Blog

Niagara Falls: Horse-shoe falls

I found Niagara Falls to be very weird! This might sound dumb but I didn't realise it was an actual city in Canada. We stayed on the Canadian side as it wasn't much hassle to get over the border.

But it was a very bizarre type of city because there are... the falls, obviously. And then there are things like casinos, places where you can play indoor mini-golf, a Ripleys Believe It or Not museum, a Guinness World Record museum, a wax museum and several 'haunted house' rides. And all this is open 'til 2am. A far cry from Melbourne where everything more or less shuts at 5pm!

It's weird because even if you went to a wax museum, they'd still find a way to put a little 'haunted house' experience in there.

Niagara: American falls
And in the mini golf place, they had a mummified thing lying in a corner. It was very random. At I think it was Ripley's, on the way out you went through a maze of mirrors and things just fell out of the ceiling! It's enough to scare the daylights out of you.

Anyway the falls. Can I first say that Canada's tax is astronomical. I don't know if I remember correctly but I seem to remember the museums costing $12 or something but after tax it was $18 or something ridiculous like that! It was really hot at Niagara falls but it was nice because of the spray from the falls, you get cooled down a lot. We went on two boats, one that went right up to the falls and you were given ponchos as you got soaked by the mist, and another one went through the (HUGE!) rapids. That one was heaps of fun, I'd recommend it to anyone! The falls themselves are stunning. You can see the steam rising from it from way, way over the other side of the bridge in America. Horseshoe falls is the famous one and it is an immense sheet of water that flows over a horse-shoe shaped rim. The water moves very very quickly and you can see rainbows in the mist.

Falls at night