New York, New York!

New York Travel Blog

I really just whizzed around the main sights of New York as you really can't do it properly in a weekend. So I made do with trying to see everything that I'd heard of at home: Statue of liberty, times square, ellis island, brooklyn bridge, the empire state building, park avenue, fifth avenue, broadway, museum mile, wall street, central park... and things like that!

New York is pretty cool, my opnion about it kept changing. On the drive from the airport I thought it looked like just any other city (and an exeptionally dirty one!). My first impression when we got down town was that everything is very big. The buildings, the cabs, the meals...

Now I think it is a pretty unique place.

It is, after all one of what some people consider the two greatest cities; London and New York. Everything in Manhattan seems to be "...of the world", if that makes any sense.

Just a few quick points: The statue of liberty, smaller than I thought. Times square, cooler than I thought, dunno why. Central park, bigger than I thought, and I didn't' know they had a zoo here!

I saw the place where Yoko Ono lives (from outside, obviously) and a bunch of the Trump buildings, the Crystler building (sorry, I don't know if I've spelt that right!)

The Empire State building. Well, the queue is massive. They say its one and a half hours but I really think its closer to three. By the end, you only really spent about fifteen minutes at the top because you're so tired from standing in the queue.

And anyway there's only so many times you can circle the roof! But the view is just amazing, it's one of those classic images which is just unforgettable. If you have three hours, you should really go up there!

Times Square was buzzing, chock a block full of tourists, I don't know if it's always like this but because it was the 4th of July weekend, it seemed maybe 90% of the people walking around looked like they were tourists. Places like the statue of liberty, empire state, needless to say was also full of tourists and so to me New York on this weekend had a sort of 'disneyland-esque' quality about it. Perhaps its because of the places I chose to go to as well, I didn't exactly go far off the beaten track.

I had a little walk around Soho which I thought was cool, and the last thing I did was visit ground zero. They'd already started building so at the time it was just a massive construction site with a train, with some flowers hung on the fence here and there. But judging by how big a space the construction site took up, these buildings must have been massive!

It was a very quick weekend but at the very least I got a taste of New York and got to see the things I had always wanted to see in real life!

binky says:
Yeah, Times Square is mostly for the tourists. The people who live here try to avoid that area as much as possible. Especially when the Broadway shows are staring and ending. Madness!
Posted on: Oct 26, 2007
WaltJake says:
Next time you are in NY, try the observation deck on top of Rockefeller Center. No long lines like Empire State Building, cheaper, panoramic views of the city skyline and Central you can view one important thing you CAN'T see from the Empire State Building's observation deck...The Empire State Building, itself!
Posted on: May 01, 2007
i thought this was hilarious! wok…
i thought this was hilarious! 'wo…
New York