AsiaJapanTokyo

City shrines and Harajuku fashion

Tokyo Travel Blog

ticket machine at the train station

During the next few days I went to the Imperial Palace, Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Asakusa and Harajuku (apparently Gwen Stefani's favourite place to get clothes). Basically Tokyo is one massive city made up of a few big cities. I think the best way to describe it is that it's a little bit like New York with all it's boroughs. 'Cept they don't call them boroughs, I forgot what they call them sorry. I didn't find Tokyo as expensive as I'd expected (except for the hotel which I will write a review about later) but then again I didn't really buy anything other than food while I was there.

I took trains everywhere; they were a bit scary because everyone is in a rush and everything is in Japanese.

They have English on some of the signs but on the ticket machine they write it in Japanese. Which is fair enough but it meant that the first thing I did was memorise the characters for my train stop!

I met up with Anna and Aya (another friend from school) at the black dog in Shibuya (apparently it is a well-known meeting point for people who live there) and from there we walked to a shrine in the middle of the city.

It was surprisingly quiet once you were a few hundred metres in. You get to the shrine and you can throw some coins in and pray. They also had some interesting prayers written out on pieces of wood which were all hung up in a pile just outside the shrine.

We walked back to Shibuya via Harajuku. I think it was a little bit out of the way but apparently I had to see this part of Tokyo! Lots of weird fashion in Japan, I thought Melbourne was a bit out there but these guys are just something to see! I didn't take any pictures cos I thought that would be slightly rude.

Dinner somewhere in Shibuya with Anna and Aya. It was a little bit of a school reunion for us! Dinner was excellent, I can't remember what we ate but it was awesome.

black dog in Shibuya
black dog in Shibuya
on the way to the shrine
on the way to the shrine
Jungle on the way to the shrine
'Jungle' on the way to the shrine
On the way to the shrine
On the way to the shrine
Entrance to the shrine
Entrance to the shrine
shrine building
shrine building
someone praying
someone praying
Shibuya - this is apparently that …
Shibuya - this is apparently that…
Shinagawa train station I think