A meeting of (Aussie) Minds

Amsterdam Travel Blog

My friend from school, by the name of Tim, had gotten in touch with me a few weeks earlier and we were talking about our respective travels in Europe. When I heard he would be in Amsterdam the weekend after I arrived, we quickly organised to meet up. In fact Tim ended up sleeping in our spare room.. on a questionable mattress too but that is another, longer, story.

I collected him from the train station and we spent the ride talking and talking and talking and talking. It was definitely a blast from the past! It was great to ang out with someone from Home and also to share and compare our experiences travelling. Tim actually speaks German so he has done better than me in that respect!

Saturday was sightseeing, Tim was lucky with the weather, it was gorgeous sunshine so we decided to walk from Museumplein to Leiseplein and then down the Kalverstraat to the Dam.
I hope I gave him an interesting tour but I can't vouch for my own credibility... On Saturday night we went to a friend's 21st. Cocktails and then drinks on Leidseplein and generally a great night! Sunday was a bit quieter, we slept until about 2pm. Tim got to visit the Red Light district in the evening, but I had to take a raincheck on that one.

The best part about all this, apart from a friendly face and a familliar accent, was that we could both apreciate just being tourists and taking in the beauty of the city. It's harder for locals, especially Dutch people who have an understandable aversion to anything remotey touristy... Don't worry gang I have only just got a bike but it's not a Mac!

For Tim it's on to Paris, for me it's on to jobhunting!

Amsterdam