the elusive Job...

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Actually, employment in Amsterdam is relatively easy to come by. Even with the handicap of only knowing English (only speaking one language is sacrilegious to the Dutch) I was not immediately turned away. There are plenty of places in the tourist areas- which is practically all of Centrum- that wil hire an English speaker.

I had two offers by the end of my first day and a handful of other applications. My ONE mistake: I didn't register as soon as I came to the Netherlands. I figured since my name is on the lease of our home and my papers are in order, that I could go in whenever and it would take 5mins. Well, after waiting 20mins to see someone I was told the net available apointment was the END of OCTOBER. How am I supposed to eat for a month? -cry I.

Well with a bit of patience and some lowering of expectations. I posted a BUNCH of adds on Expat sites advertising my various abilities. I now have adverts circulating for: Babysitting, Pet- walking and -sitting, English Lessons, Tutoring (English only), and an Editing Service.

So far, all of the answers have been for baby- and petsitting. It's not half bad actually! I really do love dogs so it's a pretty fun job and very active. Though not so much fun in the rain!

That's all for now folks!

p.s If anyone wants any of these services, message me!!
Amsterdam