Day 2 (At Sea)

Atlantic Ocean Travel Blog

Blogging at Sea
Our fist day at sea started with a leisurely breakfast on deck 10 in the Seaside Cafe.  It's an American oriented buffet with made-to-order omelettes
and ready-to-go eggs benedict.

The cruise staff presented the five ports of call, with a brochure for each one.  The presentation seemed to be sponsored by Del Sol, as she gave a presentation on how the color changing designs worked with each port.  The brochures have a nice map, but I entered the points of interest into my GPS and we will navagate to them on our own tomorrow in Portland.

We had lunch in the dining room at a table with 2 other couples.  Everyone was from the west coast, and one couple even had relatives that live in Edmonds.  The food was only so so, and the waiter at dinner last night said it was the same as in the buffet.
Cozy View Corner
  So next time we'll probably try something else, like pizza or the Asian buffet.

We found a cozy meeting room, called The Board Room, with a big table and huge windows.  They use it for Friends of Bill W. meetings mostly, but its the only place I found on the ship so far that has 110v power in a public room.  The ship was probably built in England, and all of the outlets are round with a two pin plug.  My laptop would work on 220v but I didn't bring the adapter.

The WiFi works in a few public areas of the ship, but not in our cabin.  I got 90 minutes for $40.  I hope that lasts the whole cruise. I'm typing up these journal entries offline and then uploading them to my travel blog as fast as I can.  I also prepare a subset of pictures to upload.

The weather is a bit cool, in the high 50s.  But the wind is pretty nasty.  The ship is travelling at about 15 mph.  We went straight east
out into the Atlantic, but later today we are going to turn north and hug the Nantucket coast.  We might see whales.

In the evening the captain introduced his staff and then the show began   The performers put on an awesome international show, featuring numbers from every continent.  The costumes were Vegas quality or better.  They didn't allow pictures, but I think I'll try to sneak some later in the week.

Tomorrow we dock in Portland Maine.
Board Room