Sleepless In Bishkek

Bishkek Travel Blog

I eventually met one of the other volunteers called Jenni in Heathrow after several disappointing & embarrassing attempts. We actually sat side by side without knowing for about half an hour.

We landed very early in the morning into Bishkek but knew the bosses (Chris & Marie) would arrive soon after so stayed upgetting to know each other more.

When they did show up, the very notion of sleep went right out the window. So we talked more, much more, until the sun was fully up.

We wandered around town & bought tickets for the circus on the recommendation of our very happy Land Lady. The town is interesting. Certainly not what I expected after watching Borat (I know that was Kazakstan but still).

Sure the streets are slightly delapitated but the city is not without its charm. The old cars, many parks & statues, the painted footsteps leading the way to the shopping mall that oddly enough only local men (and myself) seem to follow ritually.

The circus was fantastic. It was the moscow circus. So much fun and boy are they talented! I just may have fallen in love with one of the female acrobats who seemed to be able to move in ways that quite possibly nobody should ever be able to move. I had so much fun at the circus, it may have been directed at kids but then again I never claim to be very mature.

derekbilldaly says:
Ah thats cool, it really was a great night. Hopefully I will be able to find my cable soon to upload the photos and videos
Posted on: Oct 12, 2008
wade5000 says:
I actually remember reading about the circus a few years ago in an issue of National Geographic...seems really cool.
Posted on: Oct 09, 2008