Where The Bishkek Is Kyrgyzstan??

Bishkek Travel Blog

With a week to spare after my exams and thanks to the few generous people who donated money, I jetted off to Biskek with Habitat for Humanity. It may seem an odd decision to most to work during your time off work, but hey, it sure beats life back in the office.

Oddly enough (but honestly enough), I heard about Habitat through The Simpsons. Also the former Pope endorsed them highly or so I hear. Habitat work locally in many countries but also do Global Village Trips where a team of volunteers go off somewhere together to build a house within a set period of time and mix in a little R&R activities. This seemed to me to be a great way to travel.

I know this is beginning to sound like propaganda for Habitat, it is not intended to be such, if Homer Simpson can't persuade you, who can??

Habitat do volunteering the way it should be done. Minimum fuss, maximum support. They are extremely transparent as to where your money is going. They dont waste your money on trivial luxuries such as expensive hotels or restaurants, if I want that sort of treatment, I should have to pay for it, not my donators. Simple as.

Unlike some charities, with Habitat, you can clearly see where you money is going. Every nail you knock in, every floor board you lay, you know your money and that of people who trusted you with their money has gone to the right place. Straight to the deserving people that the charity helps out.

derekbilldaly says:
Come on, Homer even thought me how to shave! The Simpsons are useful in every aspect of life,

Just sign up for free on the Habitat for Humanity and suggest where you would like to build. If you decide to do it, let me know, I´ll prob join you. Thinking of maybe New Zealand next september
Posted on: Oct 03, 2008
jefrois says:
So Simpsons have some added purpose after all... How does one sign up with Habitat for Humanity? Do you choose the locations or pick straws? lol

Would be interesting to do something like that too
Posted on: Oct 02, 2008