Touring Dublin and drinking in Temple Bar

Dublin Travel Blog

The Dublin Castle.

I was up early this Sunday morning and at the main strip to catch my City Sightseeing Bus Tour. It was only about 14 euro, which wasn’t too bad. There was an Irish guy doing the live commentary instead of plugging in earphones. He was very informative and explained the riots in the early 20th century and the many public executions that took place. I got off at stops like the Dublin Castle, wandered through Dublina and looked around St Patrick’s Cathedral and the Christ Church, which has an underground crypt. One of the highlights of the crypt is the mummified remains of a cat and a rat, which were found in an old organ. A cat had some how gotten inside the organ in it’s bid to catch the rat, gotten stuck and both had died. Quite fascinating.

I also wandered around the Temple Bar area, which by day is not very pretty, but will be interesting to see at night.

Temple Bar!
Enjoyed lunch in a small pub facing the Christ Church, where people sat about on the lawn eating Fish & chips. I ran out of time to see St Michans Church, the Jameson’s distillery and the museum unfortunately but will hopefully get a chance to see them when I return to Dublin after my Paddywagon Tour.

I went back to my hostel room, thinking of getting changed and heading to a pub in the area for a drink. I got talking to a girl in my room called Kylie and she decided she’d come with me, we were just out for a quiet night really. We had dinner in the kitchen, drank some beer and chatted with some of the permanent residents, one who was missing a few teeth, smoking organic weed and had ‘fallen in love’ with Kylie. Poor girl, the guy was old and creepy but a bit of a laugh.

The Cat & the Rat!
Apparently you can buy the organic weed legally in some shops and that it’s really strong. I tried it and noticed quite a difference to the stuff we’d had in ‘Dam, but didn’t dare do anymore in case it really were a lot stronger.

We managed to disengage ourselves from the weirdos we’d met, and found a bar down the road. We bought a drink there and enquired after another bar we’d heard was good. The bar man gave us instructions and we finished our drinks and left. Kylie had just finished a Paddywagon tour herself and we ran into some mates she’d made on the tour on our walk. We went to a Tescos, bought a bottle of wine and went back to their hostel to drink in the common room. Her mates were pretty cool. There was Woody, another Australian and some Canadian guy.

Being spun around by some Irish guy.
After our bottle of wine the two guys, Kylie and I went to a nearby pub which was pretty much empty and enjoyed sitting there chatting and having a laugh, slowly getting drunker.Then, we made the walk over to Temple Bar and wound up in this awesome, non-cheesy pub playing lots of Irish music with lots of Irish people chatting, singing, yelling and dancing. We all bought Guinness to celebrate the occasion and somehow I wound up being twirled around the dance floor by some Irish guy. So much fun! Then we met this Irish bloke who took our pictures for us and ended up hanging out with us for the rest of the night.

I feel bad coz I was quite drunk and can’t to this day remember I name. He was a pilot and cute with his accent. The pub closed and we walked back towards the hostels, the Irish pilot walking us home.

At Temple Bar
We stopped for photos here and there. When we dropped the boys off at their hostel I complained I was cold, realising that I was minus the jacket I’d started the night of wearing. So the Irish guy insists we go back to the Temple Bar pub to see if it’s still there. It’s not. And I realise how far we’d walked tonight. Haha. We got a taxi back as it was cold and couldn’t be bothered walking. The Irish pilot asked me back to his place which I politely declined so he got my number and said he wanted to catch up the following week when I returned from my trip. I gave him the wrong number and was on my way to bed. I don’t particularly respect guys who try to take drunken girls home with them unless they’re as equally as drunk ��" which he wasn’t. Nevermind. He was sweet enough.

Kylie and I got in and crashed, realising how drunk we were and how much tomorrow might suck. I had the start of my bus tour around Ireland and Kylie had an early flight back to London. We were both going to hurt, but neither of us regretted it. It’d been one of the best nights out!

The Cat & the Rat!
Being spun around by some Irish gu…
Being spun around by some Irish g…
At Temple Bar
We were impressed with the leave d…
We were impressed with the leave …
My Irish-nameless-Pilot!
My Irish-nameless-Pilot!
Kylie & I
Kylie & I
Was quite nervous the whole time.
Was quite nervous the whole time.
Posing in front of the statue.
Posing in front of the statue.
More photos!
More photos!
Kylie and I posing on the bridge.
Kylie and I posing on the bridge.
Christchurch Cathedral.