The Paddywagon Tour begins

Derry Travel Blog

Murals in Derry.

I woke early the next morning to shower and breakfast and try shake the hangover. It was an 8am assembly and I felt terrible. I don’t normally get hangovers but the combination of cheap wine and Guinness didn’t do me any good. We all assembled in the foyer as our names were read out for our respective tours and we boarded our bus. I was sat next to an Austrian girl who spoke in fairly fluent English and laughed at me when I tried to pronounce Sacher Torte. Haha.

Our first stop on our way to our overnight stay in Derry (Londonderry) was Drogheda. There we visited the Shrunken Head of Sir Oliver Plunkett, some religious nutter.

I met a girl on the tour, Alyce, who’s from North Queensland, near Cairns. We got along pretty well and after out wander of the Cathedral went and got some lunch together. We stopped in at an old Monastic Cemetery with crumbling celtic crosses and a tower. Back on the bus we were now headed for Derry. Derry was a town, like Belfast that suffered a lot during the ‘Troubles’ and we were going to be going on a free walking tour, which explained the history behind the 2 sectors, which fought and killed each other for so long. The Catholics, and the Protestants. One wanting, independence, the other considering itself part of England. The tour was very informative and sad. Many murals were painted on sides of houses depicting scenes from no less than 10 years ago. Some were tributes to young girls and men who were killed during the time. It was a very sobering view of the town and made me realise who simple things are back home in comparison. We have republicans and monarchists, but neither party is passionate enough to start civil war. They’d just rather debate it over a beer! Good old Aussies.

After the tour we went to our hostel, another Paddy’s Palace that was an absolute dump, and wandered down to Tescos. We bought some microwave meals and sat in the hostel kitchen chilling out chatting. Neither of us felt like hitting the pub. I was still hungover and Alyce was just tired! So we crashed out early and enjoyed a deep sleep!
The shrunken head.
The shrunken head.
The Cathedral
The Cathedral
Celtic Crosses
Celtic Crosses
An old Monastic tower in old cemet…
An old Monastic tower in old ceme…
Derry