Village tour.

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

With a free day to explore Luang Prabang a few of us went into town for a look around and also to find a internet cafe, but due to the heat there was no power in town, so we walked and we walked up and down the same street, with Esra (one of the girls on this tour, who does nothing but complain) constantly complaining the whole time how hot is was. We said enough is enough and found some where to eat lunch. After lunch the power came back on so we went across the road to use the internet before heading back to the hotel for our village tour.

On this tour we were taken to different villages which specialized in different things.

The Blacksmith village
The first village we went to was a Blacksmiths village where they make spades, knives, machetes and other things. Then we went to a Lao, Lao Whiskey Village. Dont really need to explain what they do here. We all got to try some and it was quite potent and also because it was fresh out of the vat, it was quite warm to drink. Di and Graeme bought a small bottle of it to take with them. Next we were taken to a Silk and Paper village. We were shown how they make the paper and how they weave the silk into products to sell.

We also visited Wat Xieng Thong Temple, which is pretty much like most temples I'd already seen but the one difference was the type of decoration and the tree of life on the back of one of the temples. After the temple some of us were really looking forward to getting back to the hotel for a shower and a bit of a rest as it had been quite a hot day, so Di, Graeme and I caught a tuk-tuk back to the hotel and left the others in town.

Unfortunately for me and Susan we got stuck with Esra for dinner so the three of us went into town and wondered around until we found a place to eat. We decided on a place called "The Coconut Restaurant" and ordered pizzas which were really nice. After finishing our meals Esra decided to go and use the internet while Susan and I had a couple of more beers, but Esra did not come back so Susan and I got stuck with the bill. Annoyed at her for not coming back we eventually found her and she gave us a whole bunch of excuses which I did not care for and in my Aussie way I told her so.

We left town and made Esra pay for the cab fare, then had a night cap of Beer Lao and went to bed as we had an early start the next morning.

amanda576 says:
she got worse as the trip went on...Love Beer Lao! Can´t believe you have a carton or Beer Lao in your shed. That´s sacrilege! :P A carton of Beer Lao wouldn´t last that long with me :P
Posted on: Nov 11, 2008
shirlan says:
Sounds like Esra is a good one! Glad you got something back.
You like Beer Lao? We have some in the shed. My son in law to be ordered a couple of cartons a few weeks ago because he liked it so much.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2008