Delta surprises, Omni disappoints

Cancun Travel Blog

Tracy, V and I at the airport together at 6am!! =D
After 3 hours of sleep, we left for the airport at 5:45am!! We arrive at LAX and Tracy calls - she is leaving for Honolulu at the same time we are, and we're both on Delta at adjacently numbered gates! But she thought she was in Terminal 6 and I was in Terminal 5. Turns out, she WAS in my terminal!! So we got to hang out for about 45 minutes before her flight left! =D Tracy sent the cutest pix msg of her travel monkey when she boarded the plane!

From the moment we entered the airport, we were greeted by some awesome Delta employees. An older lady looked at me and Veronica (thinking we were 17 in our sweats) and asked us where we were headed. We told her Cancun and she goes "so you've just packed a thong?!?!" V and I stared in disbelief and she said "No! I meant SANDALS!" Yeah right!! We laughed together for a while =)

Then we got on the flight and it was a rinky dink little plane but we had entertainment sets in each headrest so I got to watch "Get Smart" with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carrell and it was one of the funniest, funniest movies I've ever seen! =)

We exited the airport, took our private van to the hotel and were accosted by Omni employees right away trying to sell us timeshare stuff.
Lagoon just before sunset
Some stupid manager decided to combine the check in process with the timeshare sales process and I declined my ass off and got us checked in asap.

The people at the Omni were really nice but I just felt like everything took so long!! Veronica and I went to a tour company downstairs and it took us a little over an hour to hear about, decide on and book 3 tours. We'll be going to Tulum and Xel-Ha on Monday, Chichen Itza on Wednesday and Xcaret on Friday. We've decided to do Isla Mujeres on our own via the bus, ferry and hopefully a golf cart! =D There was a beautiful sunset horseride through a private area culminating in a bonfire dinner on the beach. But sadly found out that's only during high season - but there's a slim chance we'll do a daytime horseride and jetski-ing combo but it's pricey for just over 3 hours (45 min of each activity plus lunch).
Dinner and a view
We also all agreed that we wanted some amazing seafood! And I really didn't want to go on a stupid pirate ship with a bunch of drunk people just to eat lobster. I tend to overdo the tour thing because I want to see EVERYTHING, but this trip sounds like it'll turn out well. I just wish the tours weren't as crazy-touristy as they seem to be. I asked the salesperson if there were any more low key tours where they weren't constantly stuffing you with food and alcohol. The answer, sadly, was a shake of the head. How disappointing.

By the time we were done running around getting things taken care of, it was night time and I hadn't even seen the beach on the other side of the property! But we did see a bit of the lagoon side so I've included a few pictures! We've been lucky - no rain so far but we'll see if our excursions end up being beautiful strolls and sea-side hikes or muddy trampings through drenching downpours.

Sad part is that internet access is crazy expensive here! So I will have internet for 24 hours and then I've decided to forgo until I have something really spectacular to report. =) Big hugs and kisses from Cancun. Can't tell you if it's gorgeous yet as I haven't seen it! =D

patirkc_AAA says:
Well Cancun was built 100% for tourism so of course it's overly touristy.
Posted on: Nov 04, 2015
PrissyT says:
Lovely sunset Jen!
Posted on: Oct 07, 2008
cmgervais says:
Gorgeous photos! Wow!
Posted on: Oct 05, 2008
Tracy, V and I at the airport toge…
Tracy, V and I at the airport tog…
Cancun