Day 3 - markets down 30%.. will I have a job when I go home??

Cancun Travel Blog

The famous "Margaritaville"
Everyone crashed yesterday night except for me, surprisingly! I've usually got zero energy to spare, but I think when I'm 1) not working 2) doing new things and 3) looking forward to doing new things, the adrenaline just keeps pumping away. I went to bed close to 1am and got up at around 9am. The sun was shining brightly - another beautiful day!! Or so we thought..

Today is going to be a chill day because I have homework due tonight, so we got up to discuss what we might want to accomplish today. We settled on going downtown to find a restaurant for lunch, walking around downtown Cancun for a bit, and then coming back to spend some time on the beach before heading off to dinner. If we had the energy, maybe some dancing at Basic - a hut on the water that looks super cool.
our crepes!

We hopped on the bus again and my mom wanted to go to Wal-Mart for some supplies. Apparently Wal-Mart is quite the destination as our bus was full. V and I saw a pasteleteria about a stop before Wal-Mart so we walked my mom into the entrance and promised to meet her in about 2 hours. V and I cross the street and within 2 minutes, the black stormclouds that were in the distance were right on top of us and let loose. We were caught in the most miserable rainstorm for about 15 minutes as we were trying to find the Pasteleteria. But we trudged on altho we got a little lost and walked in sopping wet.

This place has the most gorgeous bakery, and delicious looking gelatos! But we hadn't eaten yet so we sat down and ordered some crepes and hot chocolate.
Geleto!
Apparently my best friend Kieran was right. Despite knowing multiple languages, our brain tends to sort into "English" (or whatever your native language is) and "Other". I ordered "chocolate chaud" instead of "chocolate caliente" and I kept referring to this place as the "passiterie" instead of "pasteleteria".

But YUM. The hot chocolate here is Mexican-style so there was a lovely little kick to it! We sipped, dried out and ate. And before we knew it, the sun had come out again! We spent a good 20 minutes after lunch staring at the bakery section and finally gave in, ordering a few items (or dozen items, whatever) for the next couple of days. Yeah right - it would be a miracle if we got through 1/2 of what we bought. They have mushroom croissants, strawberry filled breads, and of course conchas - Mexican sweet bread.
Pasteleteria

We left laden down with individually wrapped breads and went to pick up the moms. By the time we exited Wal-Mart, however, it started raining AGAIN, though not as hard, but a bit longer than the rains this morning. It rained practically throughout our 35 minute ride home. On the way back, I happened to look outside and saw a restaurant across from La Isla (a very nice outdoor shopping mall with brand names) called Cenacolo. Since I was seated on the bus by then and had my trusty "People's Choice Guide to Cancun" I looked it up and apparently it's "the best kept secret in Cancun" - Italian fare with fresh, hand-made pasta and the owner is straight from Italy. It sounded WONDERFUL and will be our dinner spot tonight!

V went down to Happy Hour at the pool and got a little hammered before we went to dinner at Cenacolo =) I realized this because she was like "Jenn you are the BEST DATE!" Hahaha!! I've noticed that girls get all lovey-dovey when they're a bit drunk!! The mall in which it was located was awfully empty and sad.
Interior of Cenacolo
We walked around a bit trying to work up an appetite before going in. This is also when I realized that V really didn't know Spanish. I thought she was just being shy the whole time until she was at a cash register and asked how much something was and pointed at it, looked at a cashier and said "Cuantos anos?" Oh my god I BUST OUT LAUGHING. That was such a cutest mistake but just SO FUNNY coming from a Mexican!! Oh I'm not going to lie.. that killed me just a little bit..

So we finally go into Cenacolo and a handsome young man greeted us when we entered and asked if we would like to see their wine cellar before having dinner. He gave V a half glass of prosseco for free and I took a piece of lovely parmesian dipped in honey. It was a nice tour and we headed back upstairs to order.
A quick pic

I was so excited to order here that I totally overordered: baby squid and beef carpaccio to start (both mediocre, the squid was rubbery and grilled with some sweet barbeque-like marinade. The beef carpaccio was overcooked and had some weird sauce on top). Then we got to our main dishes - we both had hand-made pasta dishes with seafood. The pastas were light and the seafood was small but nice tasting. For some reason I expected the pasta to be more tasty and it was somewhat plain. We finished with the panacotta (my favorite) and some chocolate covered dough things that tasted a bit like stale doughnuts. Awful.

It was definitely one of those experiences that you really really want to enjoy, so you just keep ordering shit hoping to find a winner amongst 6 dishes, right? Well that never really happened, and $160 in the hole later, we decided to leave as there was NOTHING LEFT TO ORDER.
Love the pannacotta!
The best part was probably our long walk in the beautiful carribean air. There was a bus stop right in front of the restaurant but it was dark and we thought we'd walk to a more lit area. A freaking mile and a quarter later, we end up at La Isla's bus stop, after watching no less than 16 buses pass us that we could have hopped on =) It wasn't the best way to end the night, but it was still nice. My expectations of the restaurant were just way too high from the review.
Biglush_23 says:
Um yeah...the crepes look delicious..and umm...hope you had fun running around in the rain ^^ cant keep the weather down for long can ya hahaha!!

Travelling with my mum ^^ something i havent done in many years hahaha!! My mom has got such good game haahaha!!!
Posted on: Oct 08, 2008
cmgervais says:
Ha, "English" and "other" ...very well put. I also throw in French (when the actual language being spoken is something altogether different) as well!
Posted on: Oct 08, 2008
pvtjoy says:
Can't wait to hear about dinner - I love Italian, but it doesn't love me...
Sorry about the rain, but it's always warm enough there to dry out quickly!
Hope you're safe!