oh god...

Los Angeles Travel Blog

What a week (or 3). Ever since school started I haven't gotten home before 10:30 3-4 nights a week and my weekends have been spent helping to develop that non-profit. All my Cancun guidebooks (I got 3!) came in today and I've been marveling at the pretty pictures, flagging the best restaurants in the area and generally mapping out my itinerary.

Then I realized I should probably check the weather today..  only to find out IT'S FREAKING THUNDERSTORMING! Oh. My. God.

Living in LA spoils people. It never rains here. It's always sunny. So we forget that it rains in other parts of the world, or gets hurricanes or any type of weather really. I'm so crushed. I think the weather will be un-stormy for only the first 2 and a half days that we're there, and then the rain gets progressively worse. But maybe there will be a miracle, kind of like there was in South Carolina 2 weeks ago?? I'm going to cross my fingers. Join me, will you? =)

So if I only have 3 days of non-rain, what am I going to do? How in the world do you triage a place like Cancun with so many wonderful things to see and places to go?!

I think it'll come down to:

Tulum seaside ruins and beaches
Chichen Itza
Golf carting around Isla Mujeres

Fuck, I don't want to be stuck indoors the whole time. It's practically better to just stay in LA at this point!!

Waah!!! I need to learn to plan better..
AndiPerullo says:
Babe, fingers crossed. But remember, it might be raining, however there is still ALWAYS something to do. The 1st time I went to Cancun and it rained the whole time I just met up with some locals and drank tequilla and played dominos. It was still fabulous!
Posted on: Oct 04, 2008
poohstanggt says:
Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fine! I go to Belize every year during this time at the tail end of hurricane season and it rains but usually blows over so fast. And the sun comes out quite a bit even with the rain! You aren't that far north of Belize so it should be the same systems blowing over!!! Have faith!! :D :D :D Trust me, I didn't stay indoors any of the times I went down there...remember you are in paradise!! :D

If it makes you feel any better - my first year in Belize was the year of Katrina and we were there during tropical storm Stan and Tammy...that was actually the best weather of all three years as the storms blew in and then it was perfectly clear.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2008
Biglush_23 says:
When i was in Kyoto, Japan, i got caught in a typhoon. It was so bad that they stopped all trains, everyone was on standby. Some french friends id just made were at the station for days waiting for the next train to take them away...luckily a train opened up going the opposite way of the storm, so i hopped on it to Nara. It typhooned anyways, but i managed to hike an old highway cut through the mountains above Nara, through a canopy of trees, ankle deep in mud, and i discovered an opening along the trail, which lead me to one of the most beautiful scenes id ever been blessed to witness.

From the small portal in the trees, the landscape of a lush green valley roared, rocking to and fro like the thunderous waves crashing against the cliffs of the mountains surrounding it. It looked like an ocean of forrests, a forrest of seas...and i felt that id never seen anything as spectacular again, not for a long time at least...because its hard to orchestrate such an untimed event as a typhoon in July. Standing there in shorts, my feet muddied, underneath my umbrella...i check off yet another item off my list: expect the unexpected.

Roll with the punches grrl ^^ why shouldnt it be sunny when you go? Cause it'd be perfect, right? hahaha!!! Ill keep my fingers crossed for ya too. peas
Posted on: Sep 30, 2008