4th Leg - New Zealand

Christchurch Travel Blog

Girls cuddled up in Christchurch

What ever you do, never, never fly with air New Zealand.

After my flight to Christchurch was cancelled and I was informed that I would have to wait a few hours before a flight to Auckland and then an internal transfer flight to Christchurch I was a little miffed to say the least. When I found out that all of this was going to mean that I would get to Christchurch about 8 hours later than I had first expected, I went to go and complain. After a battle of wills with a rude and incredibly unhelpful staff I managed to convince them that the only way I was at least going to be fractionally mollified was to upgrade me. So they did. However even a business class seat couldn't erase the frustration and anger at their incompetance and so I arrived in NZ somewhat out of sorts.

We spent that first night in Christchurch at a kind of friend of a friend's place which was very kind of them and enjoyed a lie in the next day before heading to collect some provisions for the journey. We used the afternoon to travel to Akaroa which is on the peninsula and went and had fish and chips by the sea.

It was our first real glimpse of what driving through NZ would be like and it was pretty amazing.

Christchurch