the train is alive with our lovely voices...

Salzburg Travel Blog

Oh the graciousness of fellow travelers and people in general has been a great blessing! I'm so thankful for the random people who have been angels in disguise as they sent us on our merry way from bus to train to taxi to bicycle:) We traveled by train to Austria, and the second train we took just happened to have wide and lovely windows, which, happened to open quite easily! My sister and I used this opportunity to try out our European voices for the first time as we ang the Sound of Music allowing the wind to carry our voices to those awaiting outside the train station.. providing entertainment to the older men playing cards directly outside our window. We ended up resting our voices and just sticking our heads outside the windows to enjoy the wind rushing past our faces as we gazed out at the rich beauty surrounding us.

As we entered our hostel, I heard the Sound of Music, which I later discovered was played 24/7 at the hostel! Its saving grace was the great view of the castle:) Our first night we tramped around looking for food and found a tiny cafe run and owned by one man! Once again it was a local place filled with regulars who must have been lifelong friends coming for a chat. We had some roasted dumplings and eggs topped off with a little gelato! We made our way up to the castle only to find that we needed to pay for a tour. We decided to explore the city instead, and found a great market filled with 30 different types of pretzels.. it was pretzel heaven! A large chess board filled the plaza as two older gentlemen contemplated their next moves much to the entertainment of their amigos on the sides awaiting their turn to heckle them.

Salzburg