the irish eyes are smiling on a misty morning

Doolin Travel Blog

my sister and I in the lovely downpour:)

We traveled via bus to see the Cliffs of Mohr, however, as a result of the lovely rain, it wasn't really as visible as usual. Luckily we were protected by our amazing raingear provided by Pammy (aka our mom)! Moms have great insight! While we danced around in the rain at the tops of the cliffs, we met a man named Tomas who knew Spanish fluently. We became instant friends, for he shared his cookies with us! Being poor travelers, anything shared is a blessing:) He ended up creating a necklace for me.. engraving my name in Gaelic into the silver rectangular piece.

After spending the afternoon in the rain, we decided that we deserved a pint of Guiness:) We traveled to one of the many pubs and stepped inside to find ourselves the only ladies in the midst of 30 gentlemen! What great odds! We had been told by others to ask for "ponies" at the pubs instead of pints, so when my sister went up to order, she asked for a "rabbit" .

Cliffs of Mohr
.. which, of course, made everyone in the pub stop what they were doing and burst out laughing as well as purchase our "rabbits" for us:) Some of the locals heckled the owner and others for providing the "Yanks" free Guiness when they've been coming in for years. He told the guys that they didn't look quite as good as us:)

Returning to the hostel, we found one of our Irish friends creating a pie from scratch! He promised us a piece in the morning! I met many kind souls here. Kind hearts and generosity as well as thoughtfulness. We were very blessed.

Convos with wine developed into deep philosophical discussions about love, God, and life. It is interesting to hear other's beliefs, their viewpoints, and how they came to their conclusions. Some people I met believed in nothing, some believe in a higher power, some believe in astrology.. in the stars, some in nature, some in energy, and some believe that we all have an innate desire to know God. Some believe that love is fleeting, some that love begins with passion and is more than a feeling .. that evolves over time to develop into real love, some believe that there is one soulmate waiting out there.. and others that true love does not exist.. In life we talked about meaning and purpose... don't we all seek this?

kingelvis14 says:
Yes, the wind and rain can really put a damper on things. But isn't Ireland just wonderful? I want to go back and am planning a return visit for 2008 or 2009, God willing.
Posted on: Dec 31, 2007
sdbleve says:
Always listen to your mom (or dad). My deffinition of sweater....Something you wear when your mother feels cold.
Posted on: Apr 18, 2007
my sister and I in the lovely down…
my sister and I in the lovely dow…
photo by: chrisrae