Drink your beer and dance like a chicken

Big Bear Lake Travel Blog

Starting sober

We awake pretty early (at least for us) and we have a few hours to wait. We are expecting my dad and my cousin to come up to spend the day with us. We eat bear claws for breakfast and make more hot chocolate. We walk outside and the air is glorious. Its so fresh and so clean and it feel wonderful. The temperature is awesome. Nice and cool. The sun is high in the sky leaving big shadows when it shines over these big white fluffy clouds. *sigh* it was great. We decide to take a walk.

Down one street where it quickly dead ends. Then we go up the next street and omg its a big hill. We are huffing and puffing and we are not where near the top. Damn this thin air! lol. We finally make it but we sound about 80 years old each all wheezing and gasping (even the in shape 12 year old is outta shape) We find a view of the lake and we enjoy the surroundings.

Petting zoo with Llamas
We head back to the cabin and my dad shows up blasting Led Zeppelin. He likes our little cozy cottage. We make a run for the village again. More shops are open this time and we manage to sneak away in groups to go to Chads Place (awesomness) for beer. My cousin shows and we stop dicking around. Its time for Oktoberfest!!

Oktoberfest takes place at the Covention Center. I hd VIP tickets waiting for me so I get to go in the short line. I get a free beer ticket, dinner ticket and a beer stein with party beads. The outside areas has booths filled with things to buy and booths with games for the kiddos. I played a couple with my niece and I won a small stuffed puppy.

All throughout the day there are different events going on inside. There are the Polka Tots: cute little kids all dressed up that do dances.

Simply adorable.

There is the log cutting contests where two team mates stand on either side of a log and cut it usinga big saw to see who can do it in the least amount of time.

Theres the beer stein carrying contest which I am always amazed with. A girl will carry 13 steins filled with water. The toal is 65 pounds. Its just amazing to see the girls heft them and carry them. Those girls are so strong.

Theres another game where you must hold a filled stein out in front of you. Keeping you arm straight as long as possible. The last one holding the arm straight wins.

The events are always really fun to watch and are just good times.

Oktoberfest has many many happy beers on tap. I lived on Oktoberfest flavor but Blonde was also a fave. Theres lovely German fare for dinner.

Stein holding
I had a polish sausage with sauerkraut and potato salad. Pretty yummy!

There was a German band straight from Germany for our delight. They played polka music and other great tunes. My fave was the chicken dance. I danced it every time it came on. The Pizza HUt song was good too but I kept getting kicked off the dance floor cause of my beer.

The day passed really quickly and it was a whole lot of fun. We stayed pretty late but ended up leaving slightly before it was over because my neice was done. We went back to the cabin and passed out after rounds of hot chocolate.

TBC!!!