Getting out of Work

Big Bear Lake Travel Blog

Its been 9 months and I haven't taken a single vacation day this year.. which really just hurts my soul deeply. Everyone else in the office has gone away and now its my time. I used a cherished half day of vacation to leave Friday early for Big Bear.

As soon as I was out of work I heard a rock block of Korn on KROQ and I bumped it and really did feel the hole vacation seep into my body. Ahh to be alive again.

We quickly packed and grabbed everything we would need. We stopped off to pick up my niece from school and then grabbed lunch and were on our way. It was really hot in the valley and as you rode higher and higher you could feel it cooling off. So beautiful.

We rented from Big Bear Vacations. It was an Oktoberfest deal. It was around $300 total.We got a cabin for Friday and Saturday nights plus Oktoberfest VIP specials which gave us entry to two into the fest plus two commerative beer steins, 2 free beers, 2 free dinners, and party beads. But thats tomorrow.

Straight off we got the cabin. We check it out and its nice. Its a 2 bed 2 bath (we reserved a 1 bed 1 bath so its a pleasant surprise). Then the niece starts watching TV. I did not come to Big Bear to watch tv. We turn it off and head over to the village.

Ahh the village is always so lovely. Its nice to just walk around and check out the shops. It has that cozy old time feel to it. You really can feel stress and tension just wash right off of you. We stopped in the nothing over $3 store and I got a buddha and a dragon statues. (for my collection) and we went to Big Bear Tattoo (where my bro and I got our first ever tattoos). We wandered around and finally ended up at Saucy Marias for pizza and beer. The pizza was delicious and they were so friendly and helpful. After a pitcher of beer my bro and I were pretty tossed. Damn that higher altitude.

We walked around some more and then headed back to the cabin. First we found a market and bought up goodies. Chocolate and hot chocolate, chips and Beer. The cashier kept laughing at us because we kept going back and buying more stuff. We finally get done and go back to the cabin and we have a cozy night.

Big Bear Lake