Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine Travel Blog

Castillo de San Marcos

While visiting my best friend's new place in Jacksonville, we made the short trip to Saint Augustine, America's oldest city.  First we ate lunch at Scarlett O'Hara's.  The food was only so-so bar food, but it's located in a house that was built in 1879.  Then we walked over to Castillo de San Marcos National Monument.  This fort was built by the Spanish starting in 1672.  It is the oldest remaining fortress in the U.S. and was never conquered.  Then we headed to the Saint Augustine lighthouse, which is famous for its ghost stories including being featured on the TV show 'Ghost Hunters'.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera for this portion of the trip, so all I had was my lousy cell phone camera.

That night we went to a wacky restaurant in Jacksonville called Clark's Fish Camp.  This place is a like a taxidermy circus with all kinds of stuffed animals on display from all over the world.  They have all kinds of game on the menu including alligator, rattlesnake, and kangaroo.  Again, I didn't bring my camera.  It would have been interesting to show pictures from this place.

cannon