Sun, Sea, Sand and ummm Fish & Chips!

Cleveleys Travel Blog

Blue skies and a great beach.

What a surprise, I awoke to find the sun had put its hat on and come out to play. I packed my day pack and Skye into the car and then Marilyn and set off down the motorway with Electric Light Orchestras 'Mr Blue Sky' playing the whole way (either it was the extended version or I drove very fast, or on second thoughts maybe it just felt like it was playing the whole way)!

I dropped M off at the hairdressers and headed to the beach, which has recently been redeveloped and really looks the part, great to see it looking good again. The sun was out, up here too and plenty of people were around enjoying our Indian summer.

I parked up at The Jubilee Pub (one of ours), and Skye was nearly out before I had chance to open the door, honestly you would think I never walked the beast! We spent a pleasant couple of hours walking along the promenade at Rossall, grabbing an ice cream from a mobile vendor and watching some pupils at one of my old schools out for rugby practice. The sea was as flat as a mill pond, with hardly a ripple let alone a wave, there were a few guys out in kayaks too far out for a photo but nobody trying their hand at kite surfing which is quite popular around here, probably because there is usually a good fresh wind to use.

Skye did his business as dogs do on several occasions; testing out the number of bags I was carrying it to pick them up. He also looked a little wistfully at the other dogs running around free without a lead, but as I he gets a bit distracted by them when loose I decided better to keep it on and not end up having to do an impromptu running session down the beach if he decided to answer the call of the wild rather than just nature.

I got a call off M after about three hours (I know I said three hours) to say she was now ready for collection, makes her feel like royalty or celebrity to think she has her personal chauffeur to take her to the hairdressers I think. So back to the car and went to pick her up. We headed back to the beach and stopped off so she could have a look at the new promenade and then headed to a beach front bar for a drink, just a double espresso for me I’m afraid. We sat outside with Skye and enjoyed the remainder of the sun and the view, just a shame it was a little hazy preventing us being able to see the hills of The Lake District.

There are a couple of benefits to visiting the Fylde Coast, one is a Notorannis ice cream, simply out of this world, but it was unfortunately a bit too far out of the way today. Another is fish and chips at one of Seniors restaurants which are scattered around the area. In my humble opinion the best fish and chips you can buy, but then they have won the award for being the best in the North West and second best in Britain, so maybe not just my opinion. I’ll include a review when I get chance. I tried the Torbay Sole and M being a veggie had some chips and peas. I’m sure I was a little more impressed with my meal though, not really the choice of cuisine for the upwardly mobile!

I telephoned another friend Paul who runs The River Wyre the first pub I worked at as part of the management team. He was in, so we headed over to visit him and his wife Jean and meet their new best friend a puppy, a Labradoodle, which is a cross between a Labrador and a poodle. Daft as a brush and a real handful, going to be a big dog too, can’t wait to see Jean taking him for a walk in twelve months time! We sat outside the pub on the patio area with a glass of wine and enjoyed setting the world to rights, especially the world of pub managers and football teams.

The new seafront.
A pleasantly warm evening and a lovely clear sky with a great sunset, which I bet was even better on the beach, I managed to sneak a quick photo of it just in case.

All too soon it was time to head back up the motorway home to The Honey Bee, especially as I was getting a taste for the wine, and daren’t risk more than one as I was obviously driving, but it was just good to catch up and chill with good friends, the perfect end to a perfect day, except it wasn’t quite the end, I had to walk the dino one last time just before getting a to bed. Goodnight!

Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Somebodys been deleted, looks like I'm talking to myself here :D
Posted on: Jun 04, 2009
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
A 2 hour return trip, 3 hours to have it done and the cost of two Rohan shirts lighter ......... what do you think?
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Thanks, it was great seeing the old place, especially as it looks so good right now.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
Blue skies and a great beach.
Rossall School, wasnt always so b…
Rossall School, wasn't always so …
Lighting or modern art.
Lighting or modern art.
I kinda like these.
I kinda like these.
A place to sit.
A place to sit.
Skye doing his The Thinker impre…
Skye doing his 'The Thinker' impr…
Not much to look at here.
Not much to look at here.
Cool School.
Cool School.
Wheres that lampost gone?
'Where's that lampost gone?'
Can you see the tower?