3 days camping from Alice to Uluru and back.

Uluru - Kata Tjuta Travel Blog

The Olgas

Early start as we boarded our new Adventure Tour bus with a new mix of people including 2 tour guides.this time...one a trainee and the other the trainer.. Thought we would be well looked after. Lots of driving as Yulara (the "town" at Ayers Rock/Uluru) is over 500 kms from Alice Springs. Many people think it is only a few K's out of town.....actually about 4.5 hours drive. Plenty of pit stops along the way including one for grog ...hint....buy your grog in Alice as the price was ridiculous out here!

Was very excited to spot Ayers rock and we pulled into the great camping facility at Yulara for lunch before heading past the rock to the Olgas/Kata Tjuta. Wonderful pile of rocks.

It was a pretty hot time of day to be beginning a 2 hour walk........I made it to the first lookout while the rest of the group continued walking down and around the Valley of the Winds. I was glad to be able to spend some time sitting on my own taking in the majesty of the area...but after a while the wind came up so strongly I though I was going to get blown over the edge so headed back down the track to the shelter at the base, and realxed with the stunning view of the Olgas right in front of me while waiting for the others to return. My they were hot!

Next back to the public sunset viewing area overlooking Uluru.......gone was the quiet ...reckon there must have been 20 bus loads of tourists all in the one area......bit dissapointing as I had thought we would go to a nice quiet place for this famous event....nevermind. Just enjoyed the whole show anyway. (and we had champagne and nibblies to share).

Good night at Yulara campsite. The facilities were superb...they cater to the tourists so well out here.

skippyed says:
I love the Olgas they are so striking.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2008
passion4travel says:
Aaah reading your blog is bringing back memories....I used to work at the "rock" back in the ol days - glad your enjoying your trip. Cheers Sue.
Posted on: Oct 16, 2008
Olgas/Kata Tjuta
Olgas/Kata Tjuta
Spinifex grass and rocks.
Spinifex grass and rocks.
Camel farm out of Alice