The Windows of Arches

Arches National Park Travel Blog

A view of Balancing Rock

Early this morning we grabbed some breakfast and headed a few miles north to Arches National Park. And what a site! This has been by far my favorite part of the trip and where I most want to visit again.

We only had a couple hours before we had to hit the road and drive 9 hours to Nevada before dark. So we stopped at the visitor center and took a look at the recommended hikes. The arches called Windows were recommended as a relatively short hike with a scenic view, so we started driving the 6 or 7 miles to the trailhead.

This national park is unique in its features. The land is a reddish-brown flat desert with rock structures popping up here and there. Erosion has caused the natural arches and unique features, including one structure that appears to be balancing a boulder on top of its tiny shoulders (hence the name Balancing Rock).

We arrived at the trailhead and decided to take the primitive trail that promised a longer walk around the arches with grander views. Although  I can't admit the view was grand, we did see more of the canyon and the LaSalle mountains across the canyon than we could have with the more common paved trail.

We weren't the only ones at Windows, but we had ample opportunity to take pics without many people invading the shots.

After getting the chance to enjoy our view, we jumped back in the car and started heading to Baker, Nevada, near the Utah border, where we were staying for the night.

One of the Windows.
One of the Windows.
A view of both Windows.
A view of both Windows.
Under an arch.
Under an arch.
My homage to the arch.
My homage to the arch.
Driving along the highway in Utah.
Driving along the highway in Utah.
A salt lake near the border of Uta…
A salt lake near the border of Ut…
Arches National Park