Rental car adventure in Grand Junction

Grand Junction Travel Blog

Although I have friends who've lived and/or are from Colorado, I have never visited, besides stepping foot on the border at Four Corners earlier this week. So when George found out he had to exchange our damaged rental car for a new one in Grand Junction, I hopped in the car and left Jean and Karine to explore Moab and shop to their hearts' content.

Grand Junction is about 110 miles from Moab, or about 1.5 hour drive. Like all of the area, it's a pretty drive with scenic views of the mountains on both sides of the highway.

We arrived in Grand Junction just as the airshow at the airport, where we were headed, was starting. I had noticed several families with 4x4s sitting on the hills across from the airport to get the best (and free) view. We had to navigate through the traffic trying to find parking at the airport. Thankfully, it's a small airport with commuter planes to/from Denver, so it wasn't much of a problem to tell the traffic guides that we were heading to the rental car area.

It was a hassle trying to exchange our rental car, as Alamo corporate headquarters hadn't notified the local Alamo office that we needed a car to go out of state. We spent a good 1.5 hours with the rental car rep trying to get a car that he could rent one-way to San Diego and that would fit all our luggage plus be comfortable for all four of us since we still had a week left of driving to go.

The rep was finally able to help us out, so George and I headed back towards Moab. It was late in the evening by this time, and we had seen a sign for Famous Dave's BBQ, one of George's favorite barbecue restaurants. So we made the most of our stop in Grand Junction by having a delicious dinner and then driving back to Moab.

Grand Junction