Four states in a couple hours

Four Corners Travel Blog

Four friends standing in four states.

Before we left for this trip, I had printed directions from Google for our drive from Kanab, Utah to Chinle, Arizona. The directions had stated that the drive would be 5 hours long through hundreds of miles of Indian reservation roads. However, the directions had overestimated the drive by about 2 hours, but we didn't know this until nearing Chinle two hours early.

After only four to five hours of sleep, we had left the hotel around 6:30 am to get to Chinle on time for a three-hour jeep tour of Canyon de Chelly.

On the way, we finally realized that we would actually be at least 2 hours early for the tour, so we decided to take a detour to Four Corners, where Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona meet at perfect 90 degree angles.

I guess I had expected beautiful vistas, and instead was presented with a sad little view admist a tourist trap. We had to pay $3 per person to drive into this little tourist area that was fenced in, surrounded by Navajo vendors selling jewelry, pottery, and frybread. We found ourselves among the youngest tourists there, with tens of seniors taking silly photos of themselves at the four-corner marker.

While walking around the little park area, I thought how ironic it was that this was a tourist trap. The Navajo don’t necessarily recognize the state boundaries as non-Indians do. Their territory is bounded by government-approved boundaries, not by states, but yet the Navajo acknowledge non-Indians need for these boundaries and make money doing so. How ironic and yet enterprising at the same time.

acowboy says:
i was so disappointed in this place, no words needed!!
Posted on: Oct 10, 2008
Four friends standing in four stat…
Four friends standing in four sta…
Four Corners