My size city: Perth. Mint!

Perth Travel Blog

Old and new are reflected around the square

I'd hung with my Aunty at her place in Bunbury long enough.  Done all the recharging of the batteries I needed to do and now it was time to go out and use some of that power.

I jumped the morning train to Perth and a couple of hours later I was checking into the Youth Hostel right in the heart of the city.

I'd been to Perth a couple of times but I'd never actually stayed there.  I was planning to hang here for a couple of weeks so I was really going to find out now if this city was as good as I felt it was.  Plenty of time to discover all I wanted to know.

The YHA was a large dark building and those that stayed here seemed to be residents rather than travelers.

Piccadilly Theater
  They weren't very welcoming and had their own little clique that I was unable to penetrate.

I didn't spend much time there for that reason, but I wasn't in Perth to sit on the sofa at the hostel anyway.

The first afternoon I spent wandering around the city square.  The fountains, the Cops on horseback, the cafes.  All good, and now that I had my bearings it could only get better.

That night I wandered to the other side of the square where tucked up above an arcade shopping centre was the Piccadilly Theatre (or Cinema).
  I had come to watch "The Skulls" but I found the Art Deco theatre to be way way more exciting.  I loved the colour scheme of the place and the plaster friezes were thrilling.
  Maybe I could try my hand at a few of these in my future development.

One of my favourite places in Perth is Kings Park.  I walked up to the park, which overlooks the Swan River and the city from atop a hill to the West, several times whilst I was there.

I explored the park in the morning, at noon, and as the sun crept low behind me.

Kings Park is a popular space but the size of it and it's many differing areas means you can find something there to suit your mood whatever that may be.

Old and new are reflected around t…
Old and new are reflected around …
Eternal Flame at Kings Park
Eternal Flame at Kings Park
Twilight city from Kings Park
Twilight city from Kings Park
Perth beside the Swan River
Perth beside the Swan River
Perth Sights & Attractions review
There's Gold in them thar hills!
Perth is the city where they turn the nuggets found in the surrounding outback into the nice little ingots we love to love. It's an interesting tou… read entire review
Perth