Why don't I live here?

Fremantle Travel Blog

Freo Beach and Wharf

Fremantle is not just a cool beach town, close to a big city, but with a laid back attitude (though it is all those things), Fremantle, or "Freo" as it's fondly known, is a major port for Western Australia, and was the focus of the yachting world in 1986 when it was the location for the America's Cup regatta.

I jumped the train from Perth regularly to swing down here and drink coffee at a nice cafe that I found was great for watching the world go by and scribbling a few lines of bad poetry.  It was an Italian cafe and that's another great thing about Freo, this place is very cosmopolitan.

There are plenty of historical monuments to see in and around the town and I did that.

Colonial Mental Asylum
  Freo's not so large that you can't get around on foot.  The only time I had a good hike was when I wandered up to the Old Fremantle Prison for a look around.  They have guided tours up there during the day and there are also "Ghost Tours" at night which I have heard are very good.  I didn't do a tour as I always like to wander about and read the history at my own pace.

I did this at the Fremantle Asylum too.  This place is now the home of the Freo Museum rather than mentally disaffected souls.
  The rooms house several well laid out displays telling the history of Fremantle and the arrival of the first ships from Europe.  Life was hard, REAL HARD from what I read and I recommend a visit to this place to all who visit.
  This is also the home of the Arts Centre so a visit to the old Asylum gives you the best of all three things; History, art, and architecture.

Down in the heart of the town there is the Freo Markets where I enjoyed the sights and smells of the weekly produce markets.

The highest point of the town is Monument Hill.  Here you can visit the three memorials to soldiers of various wars at Memorial Park.

Down by the waterfront is the historical Roundhouse, which was built as a colonial prison in 1831.

Closer to the wharf are two shipping attractions worth seeing.
  The Western Australin Maritime Museum and the Shipwreck Gallery kept me entertained for a full afternoon.  There is plenty to see at either attraction, even if you're not a die-hard seaman, which I'm not.

Freo Breakwater