End of the Easyride

Exmouth Travel Blog

Paddy pops the cork on bubbles

Exmouth had taken the brunt of the storm as it poured in off the Indian ocean but that was a couple of months before we arrived and things were returning to normal now.

The Hostel / Camping ground we stayed at was badly struck and all the Porta-cabins had been replaced when the first lot had been swept away.

We arrived in late and Paddy decided we'd head straight up to the cliffs to watch the sun sink into the Indian.  We quickly swung by a shopping center to get the things we needed for my little party/BBQ tonight and carried on towards the clifftop lighthouse.

It was a very high spot and far below us lay the cool blue ocean.  Behind us squatted a V.Cool lighthouse.  Petra and I were the photographers of the group so we jumped about all over the place snapping a few things here and there.

Petra and Adi see red

As the sun sank Paddy called us over and popped the cork of a bottle of bubbly he'd bought.  We all had a toast to a marvelous few days together, new friends, good times -y'know, all that jazz.

The sun was setting pretty smartly now and the light was turning decidedly orange.  V.Cool!
  I quickly set my camera down and we all sat to drink our bubbly and listen for the hiss of steam as the sun slowly submerged beneath the waves.

In the dark we packed ourselves up and shot back to the camp.  We had to do the Bar-be-que in the dark of course but that was all part of the fun of it.
  There were a couple of girls at the camp on their own so we invited them to join us for my party.

I wasn't due to turn 33 until tomorrow but I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than with my new friends from Easyrider Tour 2000!!

It was very late by the time we had cooked and were sitting to eat.
Going, going...
  I had to capture the scene for posterity and blinded everyone with the flash -it was truly pitch black as we sat there eating.  The only light was from the candles on the cake!

It was a great night and when the others wandered off to bed Paddy and I went into his room for a few quiet drinks.
  One of the new girls we'd met had taken a fancy to me and followed us into the room.  We sat and talked for a couple of hours but then I made some excuses and headed off to bed.  I can't remember the girl's name, but she said she was going too.  I knew Paddy had his eye on her so I suggested she might want to stay and finish the drinks.  I don't know what happened in Paddy's room but I got a good night's sleep and that was nice as far as I was concerned.

Next day we headed out to Turquoise Bay for a swim.
Party in the dark

There was still plenty of coral as the Ningaloo Reef continues up past this beach too.  The snorkeling isn't as good here though because the current moves very swiftly North and you have to get out and walk South along the beach every few minutes or you might end up in Bali.

The wind pushed us off the beach after a couple of hours.  It came up very suddenly and turned the beach into a sand-blaster.  Within minutes everything was buried.  We quickly packed up the big stuff but when we got to the van Paddy realised he didn't have the keys.
  We had a very frantic 40 minutes until Petra discovered them buried - that was lucky!!!

Paddy dropped us all back at Coral Bay and we stayed there until we caught the next bus back.
Turquoise Bay
  Petra and Adi took a coach North and the next time I caught up with either of them was when they visited NZ and I had each one as my guest for a few nights.

That left Terry and I to travel back to Perth with our new driver.  It was a long haul.  What we'd done in five days heading up (with stops for a look around of course) we did in a straight drive back - through the rest of the day and the night.

As we moved through the desert, approaching dawn, the sky filled with that cool purple haze over the black of the land.  I found the peace of that time gave me a sence of clarity.  Poetry rolled through my mind.

I had visited the oceans to find some answers but even there I hadn't yet found myself.

What I can say though, is that I wouldn't mind a cruisy little job like Paddy's.  Five days up with a new Easyrider crew each week.  I talked to him about it.  He'd done it for a few years now and the gloss had worn off.
  I think it would be a great job for a year!  Hmm, maybe I am starting to find an answer or two.

goezi says:
For sure, though now might not be the best time to be rocking into Port Hedland with the hurricane baring down.
I'm not sure Easyrider goes past Exmouth but they may do now. It's a long haul up around that coast, Kingswood perfect for those roadside naps.
Posted on: Jan 12, 2012
rotorhead85 says:
I'd only ever been to Perth and Freemantle & ever since wanted to travel up to Port Headland and on to Darwin. I guess Easyrider would be next best thing than doing it in a Kingswood.
Posted on: Jan 08, 2012
goezi says:
WA is my favourite Aussie state Dan, definitely worth a look and I believe Easyrider is still running up and down there.
Posted on: Jan 08, 2012