Georgetown, Day 3: Farewell Penang

Georgetown Travel Blog

Saturday morning: I was up at 8am, couldn't sleep in much longer, which is funny as I like sleeping in on weekends. I guess when you're on vacation and you know you're leaving, you want to make sure you're ready and packed to check out on time.

Kim got in the shower after I was done with it, and started packing while I entertained myself with Saturday morning cartoons. An hour later, we headed up to the Sky Garden for our breakfast and enjoyed the cool air while we discussed our plans for the following weekend, as well as our next holiday destination next year. At 11am, we headed back to our room and got our bags to check out a little early so we didn't have to worry about doing other things until 1230pm, when we had to leave for the airport.

I went online to check my emails and TB messages on my page while Kim continued with her reading. An hour later, at 1215pm, we decided we'd check out the local diner down the street and decided on economy rice, which was the staple Malaysia food of white rice with servings of side dishes, including curries, stir fried vegetables and others, like fried fish, chicken or eggs, amongst other things. This truly was an old diner, as was evident from the wooden chairs with marble seats and matching marble topped wooden round dining tables. I wish I had photographed it now! The booths were low rise wooden seat with high-backed wooden leaners and old fashion tables. The tiles on the floors and walls were the tiny, colorful intricate types that you won't find in homes today. This is truly a legacy left behind by the former "taukeys" or owners of the shop.

After lunch, we got Desmond to call us a cab and paid MYR35 for a trip to the airport, which surprisingly, felt like a longer drive compared to our journey to the hotel the Thursday afternoon that we arrived. I'd love to come back and complete my journey around the heritage trails. And I promise, this time, I'll be a camera whore and snap away! :P

photo by: ice9van