The longest bus ride of the whole trip.

Andahuaylas Travel Blog

On the way.

The bus from the company los Chankas we were supposed to take that early morning looked a little bit shabby, hopefully it would survive this trip. According to the official plan it would take same 21 hours to arrive in Cuzco including a stop in a town called Andahuaylas where we had to switch buses. Ufff, that would be tough. At least I heard that the view on the way should be pretty spectacular.

Our bus left just with a few minutes delay and soon it was driving on one of the roads going up the moountains and leading out of Ayacucho.

Hours and hours passed and we were crossing villages, little canyons and a neverending beautiful mountainious area.

Bored?
From time the time we got pretty high but the roads seemed to get more narrow...at least that was the feeling I had. The edge of the road was sometimes damn close the bus wheels, but the driver seemed not to care. He listened to the music he played all the time agian and again and spared the breaks. Why wasting them? Because of the chasm? Come on...this wasn’t the road of the death in Bolivia. Just a...lower level o fit. I’m sure our driver would drive on the road of the death the same way anyway. I listened to the songs he played for a while, a woman was complaining there how a guy could have left her and that she will take a beer. This topic came up quite often. Was our driver a woman? If I remembered well he had a moustache. Aaaah...whatever. I should just enjoy the view and forget the death thread if the bus would fall down and kill us all.

After a couple of hours our bus stopped in a tiny village so the passengers could strach a bit and get some food.

We had some crackers and some dry bread with us, not the most spectacular lunch. There were some older ladies sitting on the floor outside offering rice with some green beans and egg. I knew it was risky to eat something on the streets in Latin America especially in the middle of nowwhere...I knew all that...but sometimes your stomach asks for real food and you decide to take the risk of a diarrhea. The plate I recieved was cheap and pretty good. Dan followed my example, but Pavel and Marian refused.

A couple of more hours in the bus followed, but the view outside was really rewarding. Sometimes the bus stopped on the road and people ran out to pee. They didn’t really hide, they did it pretty close to the bus...obviously nobody cared at all.

It was in the late afternoon when we were approaching to Andahuaylas.

Beautiful countryside.
The town looked nice from far with all the hills and forests all around, but seeing it close it looked like a sleepy boring place. Just the bus terminal we arrived at looked quite fine. We had now some 2 hours before our connection bus, so we used the chance to buy something to drink and to use the toilet. The terminal looked really fine...with one exception...the toilets. There was no toilet paper (lucky me I had some paper tissues) and worst of all it didn’t flush. And for all that we had to pay 1 sol to use the toilet. At least the employees tried to solve the flushing problem somehow bringing extra water.

Me and Dan went also a bit outside to see the surrounding of the terminal. We didn’t get fara s there wasn’t really something to see. But on the way back a little boy came to us and pointed at my camera. He wanted me to make a picture of him.

Views from the bus.
Of course I did. He was really curious to see how he looked like on the screen of the digital camera. And there appeared his older sister as well. OK, another picture with both of the together, no problem. The kids didn’t aks for any money, but I felt like I should give them something. From previous trips I learned to carry always some little candies with me. I took some out and gave it to them. The big smiles on their faces were more then rewarding.

The kids seemed to be waiting with their parents for a bus as well as we met them later again inside of the waiting room of the bus terminal.

The boy brought even his younger sister which seemed to be 2 years old only. One more picture, haha.

Suddenly our bus was ready to leave. It was getting dark already, there won’t be much to see through the window anymore. The following day was supposed to be pretty busy, better if I can get some sleep. When I wake up hopefully we would be arriving in Cuzco already.

yadilitta says:
oh! so sweet you gave the kids some candies. I can imagine their huge smiles :)
Posted on: Jan 11, 2009
Views from the bus.
The roads werent always the safes…
The roads weren't always the safe…
Having a break.
Having a break.
People enjoying lunch open air.
People enjoying lunch open air.
Having some lunch as well.
Having some lunch as well.
Llamas.
Llamas.
Entrance to the bus terminal.
Entrance to the bus terminal.
A local boy.
A local boy.
Brother and sister.
Brother and sister.
A Peruvian boy with his little sis…
A Peruvian boy with his little si…
Andahuaylas