“Aguas Calientes”, the last outpost before Machu Picchu

Aguas Calientes Travel Blog

Our train to Aguas Calientes.

Our taxi driver was really talkative, he wanted to know everything possible about our countries and told us stuff about Peru. The trip to Ollantaytambo took some 1 ½ hours, enough time to get lots of information about the every day’s life of Peruvians. There was even a lot to watch out of the window. Mountains with snowed peaks, little villages, the countryside was just beautiful. And all that covered in the light of an amazing sun down.

It was dark already when we suddenly reached Ollantaytambo’s train station. When we got out of the taxi and paid I heard behind me somebody calling my name. Standing there in a little group of people was the brother of our taxi driver, the guy with whom we agreed on taking us here.

Inside the train..
We shook hands and I used the chance to ask if him or his will take us back to Cuzco the following day. First of all we had to find out the time of course. In the simple looking train station we headed to the ticket desk and asked for tickets from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. They had free tickets for the train at 2pm or at 8pm. The earlier one sounded much better even if that was the more expensive one in a higher class…53 USD each. Were they crazy? For a 2 hours trip? But taking the train at 8pm we would arrive back in Cuzco at around midnight and the following day we plan to take the bus to Puno already. We didn’t really have an option.

Back by the parking place we told our taxi driver the time of our arrival and he promised to be there. Great, that was solved. The rest of the half hour we had to wait until the departure of our train we spent with buying something to eat and to drink.

Suddenly a blue painted train with a yellow Peru rail sign arrived and we got in. Our wagon filled up quickly, most of the passengers were foreign tourists of course. I felt pretty tired at that point and it didn’t take long I was deeply sleeping. We couldn’t see anything outside anyway, it was just too dark.

About two hours later we reached Aguas Calientes. We arranged our accommodation already in Cuzco to save time, hopefully there would be someone waiting for us outside. There were dozens of different hotel employees but we couldn’t discover anyone with my name on a shield. Damned, it was pretty late in the night to start looking for an affordable accommodation. Then finally I heard a guy saying my name. He was late obviously. The young guy leaded us to our hotel which was nearby. We checked in quickly, asked for the direction of the trail to Machu Picchu and headed to our rooms quickly. We needed to get some sleep, our plan was to get up at 4am and it was already almost 11pm. A quick shower and suddenly our bodies found some rest in the bed sheets. The following day would be pretty exiting was the last thought that leaded my mind into the kingdom of dreams.

Aguas Calientes