A long journey home with two children, two suitcases and a backpack...

West Linton Travel Blog

Reagan on the flight back

The time had come to leave again. It had been a good week all in all and even though the goodbyes were sad I think we all felt better for having seen each other. We were picked up at 9am to be taken back to the airport.

We got the the airport with a little time to spare, and as it turned out we had even more time as the plane was late... (What was it about Ryanair and their track record for being on time again?) We left 25 minutes after we were supposed to and got to Weeze late as well. There was a big line-up at customs when we got out of the plane and I was starting to worry about whether we would get to the train station on time. We just made it and we all had to go to the toilet but I wasn't going to chance that! When the train arrived and we had settled down we couldn't find a toilet to start off with but found one in the end.

Jordan on the flight back
Reagan wouldn't go though as it was filthy, and the smell of smoke was unbelievable. No smoking allowed on the train so every smoker just uses the toilet for their fix I think! Our return journey was a little bit different than when we came to Germany, the main reason being that it would get us home an hour earlier than when we would have taken the same route. So we had a lot more stops and had to change trains 5 times. Everything went fine until we got to Nijmegen, we only had three minutes to change trains and even though they stop right beside each other on the platform, as they are from different companies they don't wait if one is a little late. So we had to wait half an hour for the next one... Apart from that everything went smoothly and we got home at a decent time.

My tips for a trip like this: bring plenty of snacks, drinks and stuff for the kids to be entertained!

(Just in case you were wondering, I managed to pack one suitcase into another as we returned with a lot less stuff than we left with...)

West Linton