Trip from Meppel to Weeze with two kids, three suitcases and a backpack

Weeze Travel Blog

Weeze

Whenever I find a special offer with an airline this trip will make me think about finding out ALL the details before booking those flights! Let me elaborate:

My ex is currently staying in Scotland for medical treatment. As we have two children together who hadn't seen their dad in almost three months, when I saw a special offer from Ryanair (€5,- pp including taxes) I thought it was too good to pass up. As they don't fly from The Netherlands directly to Edinburgh I decided to fly from Dusseldorf Weeze, which is about the same distance as Eindhoven in The Netherlands from where I live. Only after I booked did I really start thinking about how to get there and the cost of it.

Archway
.. I don't have a car and the plane was to leave in the morning on a weekday so I couldn't expect anyone to take me there either. A train wouldn't get us there on time so in the end we had to take the train a day beforehand, and stay a night in a B&B. Might as well have paid a bit more for the tickets....

Anyway, lets start at the beginning: The girls and I left Meppel by train at around 1.30pm. In Zwolle (about 20 minutes away) we had to change trains to take us to Arnhem which was about an hour further along the line. There we had a little bit of time to kill and then it was on the InterCity Express to Dusseldorf we went. It took us ages to find a seat and when we finally found one I realised I had lost my purse (bag)! And as you all know, a women holds her whole life in her purse, and in mine were my money, traintickets, airline tickets, passports and so on... I completely panicked and ran through the train like a mad woman I'm sure and boy was I relieved when one of the conductors told me he had found it! So with a sigh of relief I sat down and enjoyed the ride... From Dusseldorf we got the train to Weeze and from there walked to Kevin's Pub, our home for the night.

When we found our accommodation it was a bit disappointing to find out that the attached bar, restaurant and beergarden were closed for the night (every Tuesday!), but the room was comfortable although basic, and the owner (from the UK) was very pleasant. We had dinner at Haus Bodenstaff in the centre of Weeze and then a very early night.

Niers River
Restaurant
Kevins Pub
Kevin's Pub
Weeze Hotels & Accommodations review
Basic bt comfortable and affordable Pub with lots of accommodation options
If you want to stay in Weeze this is not a bad place to do it! Kevin's Pub is located in the centre of Weeze and consists of several buildings and … read entire review
Weeze Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Affordable restaurant with friendly service
This restaurant is located in the centre of Weeze, right beside the church. It is a pleasant restaurant with seating for about 50 people. The waitress… read entire review
photo by: huibdos