Arrival at Castle Craig

West Linton Travel Blog

"Our" house, the gate lodge

Today we got up pretty early to have our continental breakfast which was included in the room price (€55,- for the three of us, we got a discount because of the children's ages). Afterwards the guesthouse called a taxi which took us to Weeze airport. Like a lot of Ryanair airports this is also a military airport.

We got on the plane and it departed ten minutes BEFORE the scheduled time and landed twenty minutes before we were due to arrive as well! This was a first for me flying with Ryanair although they still say they have the best on time record in Europe or the world or something... Getting out at Edinburgh was strange, suddenly you're outside of the passenger area but there's not a clear area you pass through from one to the other.

Newly built gate lodge
The person picking us up was late, as it turned out when she showed up she had just sat in her car waiting until the we were expected in at and then a bit longer to give us plenty of time. Of course with us being early that made her late!

The ride to the castle was pretty much uneventful. I mainly looked out at the scenery, as the weather was quite good and you never know how long that will last in Scotland I thought I might as well enjoy it while I could! The drive took about half an hour mainly along narrow winding roads.

(Let me just make a note here: Castle Craig is a medical facility in Scotland which in fact I would not call a castle but a stately home. There is the main building and a lot of other, smaller buildings which are used as accommodation for patients, kitchen, dining hall, offices etc.

The main house, Castle Craig
We were to be staying at the gate lodge, which are two traditional gate houses with a brand new part built very recently which joins the two. "Our" house consisted of a living area, kitchen, bathroom and three bedrooms, which we shared with other patient's family for the first few nights but we had to ourselves for the last three nights. All this sits on about 50 acres of land.)

When we got to Castle Craig we got dropped off near the dining hall and that's where we met up with Merv. I won't go into any details about this part of the trip as it has nothing to do with travel. We then settled into our accommodation for the week and explored the grounds a little. We had dinner at the dining hall and spent the evening in the gate lodge.

Our house, the gate lodge
"Our" house, the gate lodge