My Flight to Havana...

Havana Travel Blog

November 22,2007

Today I woke up at 3:30am showered and immediately went downstairs to Take my Hotel Airport Shuttle. I was quite happy the Hotel offered this service for free. I was picked up and taken to the Airport in under 20 minutes. I found the Cubana Airlines Check in Line. The Line wasn’t long about 10 people ahead of me but it was terribly slow. There were just two agents for Cubana and as time passed the check in line got longer and longer. Just to process those 10 people ahead of me it took them like 2 hours. I was starting to worry as I thought I wasn’t going to make my 6:30am departure. When it was finally my turn, My luggage was weighed, I was issued my Boarding pass and sold my Cuban Tourist Card for 20 Canadian Dollars.

Cubana Flight Attendants
I was told to rush to my gate as my flight had already started boarding. I was relieved that security lines weren’t long and I made it to my gate in No time. I have No idea if the other passengers made it or not, but we departed about 20 minutes later on time.

I was expecting Cubana Airlines Flight to be on some old Russian airplane but I was wrong it was on a Airbus 320 aircraft which was very clean and seemed to be only 2-3 years old. The seats were kind of on the small side but were comfortable. The Flight Attendants were all Cuban and seemed quite Friendly. Breakfast was served 45 minutes into the flight and it consisted of Eggs, with Pancakes, Potatoes and Sausage. It was quite tasty! As in-flight entertainment Episodes of Seinfeld, Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond were shown which I thought was quite funny as you would think Cubana Airlines would show something more Cuban.

Havana Taxi
For the last Hour and half of the flight I slept.

We landed At Havana Jose Marti airport on time. Passport control and customs were unlike anything I have seen before. While the immigration agent is checking your passport you’re in this sort of phone booth type thing with a locked door. When you’re granted entry you’re buzzed in. I was asked all sorts of questions by the officer, nothing out of the norm though. All the questioning did make me a bit nervous. She would look into her computer screen, then look at me, then look again at the screen and ask me another question.

After about 5 minutes of questioning I was buzzed in. Then we had to go through metal detector thing again and have our hand bags scanned. It was weird as this was the first time I have had this happen after getting off the plane it is usually done by security before departure. Since I didn’t have Baggage to claim I went to the Money Exchange booth and changed my Canadian Dollars. For $1,000 cdn I got 890 Cuban convertible pesos. I walked outside and off I was to my Bed & Breakfast know here in Cuba as Casa Particular.

OH IM SO EXCITED!!!