I am in MELBOURNE!

Melbourne Travel Blog

my cup at the pancake parlour
Finally somewhere new! I didn't make it to Melbourne last time I was here even though I really wanted to. My friend Melissa has been living here since may and absolutely loves it. I flew in yesterday.. the 29th and caught the skybus that takes you from the airport to Southern Cross station in the city. Melissa met me at the station and then we caught a tram to her house in West Brunswick, one of the MANY suburbs of Melbourne. Trams are everywhere here! I have never seen anything like it! There aren't many buses... the roads are just packed with trams. They go everywhere. Its so cool. Australia has such good transit systems even though aussies may not think so and always complain about them. Oh well. So anyways last night we didn't do much just sat around and talked and caught up.
Flinder's Street Station
It was great. Today we were tourists!! We first caught a tram into the city and went to the Pancake Parlour for breakfast. I got a bunch of coupons from the skybus and one of them was a 2 for 1 shortstack. It was delicious!! After breakfast we walked down the street to Federation Square and Flinders Street Station and looked around there for a minute. So many of the buildings in Melbourne are really old european style looking. its cool. We caught another tram from there and went to St Kilda. We walked around the shops for a while looking at and trying on dresses. The spring races and Melbourne cup are coming up soon so all the stores have amazing dresses and hats! Melissa is going (and hopefully I will too) to the spring races so shes looking for a dress and I am going to a wedding so I need to find a dress as well! (when we were in the city we went in to Myer a department store and they had a whole section of just hats and hair pieces! I have never seen anything so funny! and the hats aren't cheap either.
some old building
Some of them were up around $400 - $600!! There were so many women in there trying to find the perfect hat. They had there dresses with them and were trying to match them!! It was awesome!) After looking around there we headed down to the beach. It was great. I love the beach. After St Kilda we headed back to the city where we went back to Federation Square and had lunch. I had nachos :) After we ate we headed to Melbourne 360 (which I also had a 2 for 1 coupon for). It is at the top of a building I can't remember the name of right now and my brouchure is in Melissa's room and she is sleeping... so I will find that out later. But anyways we went up to the 55th floor! in the fastest elevator ever! The whole floor is just windows with little places you can go outside. It was so windy! I took a ton of pictures that I will put up one day.
Eureka tower.. tallest in Melbourne
Anyways you could see everything in Melbourne and you could see all of the tennis courts on top of the other buildings. We saw the cricket grounds and the M.C.G. where AFL is played. (Dad and Melissa: I will have to wait until next season to see a game as aussie rules rootball just finished last weekend. The Hawthorne Hawks just won. AFL is HUGE in Melbourne and since I haven't been here before I haven't really seen a game. It is played on tv but in NSW they don't like AFL. My guy friends call it gayFL. Everyone watches NRL (national rugby league) in Sydney... soooo that is that.) What else did we see? I don't know I will put pics up one day and you can see them! So after Melbourne 360 we went and did some more shopping.
giant tv in Federation Square
.. but we didn't buy anything. How good of us. Um we went to IGA and got some food for dinner. Ealier in the day we had been givin a can of tuna... or so we thought. So I thought it would be a good idea to get some bread and cheese and make tuna melts. So we bought food and caught a tram home... and by this time it was 6 oclock and we had been walking around for like 7 hours! So when we got home we opened up our cans of tuna to find out they were kinda of like tuna salads with pasta and veggies and weird stuff. That was weird so we just made grilled cheese sandwiches and ate the tuna thing on the side. Then after we ate I tried to make plans for what I am going to do in the next couple weeks. This weekend (the 4th and 5th) Me, Melissa, Donna and Adam (Melissas house mates) and Adams friend are all renting a car and driving the great ocean road!! I am so excited for that! It should be great fun.
Fed Square
Then next week I am thinking of either going to Adelaide or Perth or both. I just dont know. Me and Melissa also want to do a day tour of Phillip Island to see the fairy penguins. She finishes work on the 10th so we are going to do it sometime after that. On the 21st I am going to get a flight back to Sydney with Melissa. She is going there to meet her twin sister Lindsay at the airport. They are spending 2 nights in Sydney and then flying back to Melbourne so I might hang out with them while they are in Sydney. Then on the 25th is Joe and Michelle's wedding which they have invited me to! And then on the 28th I will fly from Sydney up to Cairns and meet Melissa and Lindsay at the airport.
Yarra river
.. and then travel down the east coast with them!! I am really excited that I kind of have some plans now. YAY! I am sure you are sick of reading this.. and I am sorry. So goodbye! (I am too lazy to read through what I just wrote. so if something doesn't make sense I am sorry!)
Flinders Street Station
Flinder's Street Station
the city from St Kilda
the city from St Kilda
the blue bubble says you call! we…
the blue bubble says "you call! w…
trams are allowed to go 15
enjoying some iced coffee
enjoying some iced coffee
mmmm
mmmm
this is all the store sold!
this is all the store sold!
one of my new favourite shows