The Great Ocean Road

Great Ocean Road Travel Blog

some awesome streets
Such a good weekend! I will put up pics one day!
It started off after sleeping in on saturday morning but we eventually all got up and the boys went and picked up the rental car. Long story short Donna didn't end up coming so it was just me, Melissa, Adam and Ross. We meant to leave at about 9 but by the time we were in the car leaving it was just after 10! oops! So our first stop was Geelong where we had to go to a chicken shop. Melissa's boss's twin brother owns it so she wanted to go say hi. It was a good thing we did because they sent us with a whole chicken with gravy, 2 salads and some chips! It was so nice of them! On our way to the chicken shop we had to turn down Montreal street and then we found Canadian street! Well it was a PDE but I don't know what that stands for :P The picture is my facebook profile pic so you should look at it.
the best signs!
So then we were on our way. We didn't take the great ocean road at first. We went a back faster way to Port Campbell which is the end of the Great Ocean Road and then headed back in the way of Melbourne. We stopped many times along the way to Port Campbell to take pics of funny signs and also to get food and even stop at a pub for a drink!
Our first stop was the Loch Ard Gorge.. took some good pics. Second stop was The Twelve Apostles even though there arent 12 anymore. That was great. I love finally seeing things in person  after seeing so many pictures of them! we spent quite a while there taking pics and taking in the scenery! It kinda sucked tho because the sun was right about the apostles so some of the pics aren't that great but it was still amazing.
By the time we left there it was about 5 so we needed to quickly drive to Lorne where we were staying. We drove along the Great Ocean Road but didn't stop anywhere we just needed to get to our hostel. There were some amazing views thought! We got to Lorne just after 7 and checked in. It was a really cute place set in the trees with different cabin type places.
So we had some drinks at the hostel and sat around and chatted. Then we went to find a pub or something. We found the Lorne Hotel and it looked like the only place that there was to go out. (hotels are pubs) Anyways we got there and there was a line.. at a pub? and you had to pay a $5 cover because there was a band playing! We asked a guy in the line if there was anywhere else to go out and he said no.
Oh man! So pretty much I felt like I was at a club in a city because they took our ids and scanned them and took our pictures. IT WAS A PUB!!! so weird. After we went through all of that we came to the conclusion that it was the worst place ever! We made a list of all the bad things... not in this order but this is what I remember. Cover charge, no pints, no shots, $8 vodka orange juice, no tabs, no debit and the atm was broken, $3 for a game of pool, no food even thought there was a menu and all the drinks were rediculously expensive! So we just drank too much and had a great night! It was a lot of fun and Melissa took over 100 pictures so I will put some of the decent ones on here.
Saturday morning we slept in and to make that worse it was daylight savings so we had to set our clocks forward! We checked out of the hostel 45 minutes late but blamed it on daylight savings! We went and got a really food breakfast at a cafe in Lorne and then drove back along the Great Ocean Road to the Cape Otway Lighthouse.
I even drove! Everyone thought I was going to kill them but I didn't! When we got to the lighthouse we found out we had to pay to get to it! so stupid but we did it anyways. It was pretty neat. You could go in all the old buildings where the lighthouse guys lived. They were pretty old too from 18something! I have all the info I am just too lazy to go get it! We went up the lighthouse and had some awesome views. There was also a world war 2 bunker thing where they looked for submarines. On the way back up to the main road we stopped on the side of the road where the lighthouse lady told us to stop and looked for KOALAS!!! I have never seen a wild koala so I was so excited. We found 10! It was so awesome and I am soooo happy that we saw so many. They are just so cute.
Back on the Great Ocean Road for more driving and sight seeing.
victoria country
Again we suck at managing our time so we were kind of far away from where we wanted to be so we had to drive and not stop as much but that is ok. We stopped at a huge Great Ocean Road sign and took pics and then drove again to Bells Beach. It was a really nice beach and we took lots of pics. We even took some great jumping pictures even though half of them didnt work because we all jumped at different times. Oh well. We needed to head back to Melbourne because Ross had to make sure he had enough time to get to the airport. We got back to the house about 7ish and picked up Donna and went out for dinner.
Well maybe the weekend doesn't sound that great in this but it really was! We had sooo many good times and laughs and it was just great. I finally got to do something I have wanted to do for so long! I have some amazing pictures that will be up eventually.
I just dont want to fill up this computer with all my pictures and it takes ages to upload them straight off my camera. Oh well you can see them soon! Also with the rental car and petrol and hostel and everything it was cheaper then a 1 day tour and probably so much more fun! So that is lucky! I will probably add some things when I think of them but I am just sick of writing and my hands are REALLY cold. Also while writing this it POURED for abour 3 minutes and all of my clothes were outside on the line.. so then I brought most things in and hung them up inside.. and then it got sunny again! I hate Melbourne weather! it will probably rain again in about 20 minutes and soak all the towels and things again. So you are probably like why don't you put everything in the dryer? There isn't one!!!! most aussies don't use them so that sucks when you wash all your clothes and would like them to dry so you don't have to wear pjs and not go out!! Oh well I will survive!

ocean!
we stopped at a lookout
we stopped at a lookout
1 picture from our night out
1 picture from our night out
i found out in the morning i broke…
i found out in the morning i brok…
Lorne
looking down
looking down
listening to the lighthouse man
listening to the lighthouse man
I dont really know what this is
I don't really know what this is
yes this sign was there!!
yes this sign was there!!
2 koalas!
2 koalas!
smart water
smart water
just in case you forget what side …
just in case you forget what side…
bells beach