Tour of Alcatraz Island

Alcatraz Island Travel Blog

We made it right on time for our tour which was about to start boarding.  Unfortunately, we were near the rear of the line so we figured we wouldn't wind up with the best seats on the boat but oh well!  We managed to get on and find a couple spots up top so Michelle could take in the views of San Francisco Bay.  We were hanging out taking photos when I realized my phone was ringing! LOL.  Here we are out in the middle of the Bay and my phone starts going off...figures! HA HA.  It was a pretty important phone call that I was hoping for so I chatted as long as I could as we docked and stumbled my way off the boat holding on to only one rail and the other hand on my phone. HA HA HA. :D Finally I had to hang up as we were headed into the tour and people were looking at me of course!

Alcatraz was definitely interesting.

..can't believe it took me this long to see it.  Michelle and I had gone through most of the tour when we ran into a volunteer with a few of the guys from our boat in tow.  He was unlocking a small staircase and looked at me and said, "you girls wann join?"  Uh, sure! Had no idea where they were going but we followed in tow!! HA HA.  They were getting a private tour of the areas not open to the public in Alcatraz.  I was talking to one of the guys and he said he just happened to start talking to this guy and he offered.  Too bad we didn't follow them in the beginning!  HA HA.

We got to walk the area the guards once did and got an up close view of the area where the big escape attempt was initiated.  Talk about an amazing opportunity.

We were walking the officers area where the missing pool table was recently returned (the Coast Guard apparently had it the whole time ha ha)  We were standing there for a bit when Walt (Alcatraz volunteer) advised we were about to miss the last boat back!!! WHAT!!???!!  We literally ran down and he radio'd that he "found" a few people lost who he was bringing with him! HA HA. He ended up taking the boat back with us...yes, we were literally the last people to board! After standing there chatting for a bit, we talked Walt into hanging out with us for a drink or two at Pier 39.  :D  People who know me well, know I can make friends anywhere!

What a GREAT time we had on Alcatraz and thanks again to Walt for making it a completely memorable experience! The remainder of the night in San Francisco will follow in a separate blog entry! :D

WaltJake says:
I've been to San Fran twice, but I've yet to make it to Alcatraz! Next time!
Posted on: Oct 11, 2008