This is My Kind of Shopping

San Jose Travel Blog

THIS IS MY KIND OF SHOPPING

I counted my blessings to be able to make this trip. Hurricane Ike wrecked havoc on the greater Galveston/Houston area on Friday, September 12. Before the storm hit, the Houston Intercontinental Airport shut down from Friday at noon through Saturday night. After accessing the damage, they also cancelled all flights on Sunday.

Fortunately for me, they opened partially for business on Monday. I got to the Kansas City airport a couple of hours early.

Kelly-me-José-Derek ready 2 rumble
The counter reservation agent told me that Continental had already postponed two trips to Houston that morning and she graciously hurried me on to another flight.

I arrived that night at 10:30 p.m., an hour late, at the Costa Rica Backpackers Hostel. The check-in clerk said the gang had left, but would be back later. Sure enough, it wasn’t long before Derek & Adrian came and picked me up.

We went a few blocks to a neighborhood restaurant/bar. There, I met Kelly and José. The five of us chatted a million miles an hour and laughed like banchees until the place kicked us out at closing time. I’ve listed some of our Tuesday morning adventure photos on Monday. NO PICTURES WERE TAKEN MONDAY BECAUSE WE WANTED ONE NIGHT OF “WHAT HAPPENS IN COSTA RICA, STAYS IN COSTA RICA.” J

Back at the hostel, Derek, Kelly and I yakked on another hour or so until the management couldn’t take it anymore.

Everyone wants in on the TB action
We finally dropped off about 3:00 a.m., knowing we were heading into our big day a little over three hours later.

EARLY Tuesday morning at 6:30 a.m., we were joined by ‘Bob”, a close friend of Derek’s. Bob happens to be a light bulb. It didn’t take long to appreciate Bob’s value to our group; he’s a bright fellow, a brilliant listener and a chick magnet. For the record, Derek & Bob have traveled together to over 30 countries.

The six of us decided to create our TravBuddy empire before visiting the Irazú Volcano.

• Kelly got the show started by taking over the country’s banking system.
  • Derek followed up by obtaining a few hundred acres of famous ruins for his own private park.
  • José got hungry, so he purchased all of the Pizza Hut franchises in Central America.
  • Feeling left out, I bought a church so I would have a place to work. Bob will run the church souvenir shop.
  • Adrian landed a chain of bars in the San José area.
  • Finally, we pooled our resources and bought a TravBuddy mansion.

Not a bad way to start a morning. Now it’s off to Parque Nacional Volcán Irazú. J

derekbilldaly says:
Hahaha so thats why you appeared to be taking rndom photos all the time!
We now have a foothold in Costa Rica for TB, I hope the other meetups were as successful
Posted on: Sep 30, 2008
Jesus welcomes us to Costa Rica
Jesus welcomes us to Costa Rica
Even the animals come to greet us
Even the animals come to greet us
After Bobs orders, all go to work
After Bob's orders, all go to work
San Jose