Things are getting greener

North Augusta Travel Blog

Make a wish.
I had originally planned to stay the night in Charlotte, South Carolina, but since the states are so close together, I decided to blow straight through from Georgia to Wilmington, North Carolina.  I did stop for about 30 minutes once I crossed over the Georgia state line though.  I was starting to see palm trees and lots of spanish moss hanging from the trees, so I thought I'd take in some of the warmth and color that I had been waiting so long to see.  I wandered around the South Carolina rest area for a bit, enjoying the weather and taking pictures of an old barn I found about a quarter mile away from the parking lot.  Then I found a tree with all kinds of ladybugs on it and spent quite a bit of time attempting to get a macro shot of the little things (not easy at all, they're quick!)

After stretching my legs and cleaning up the car a bit, I hopped back onto the highway and made a beeline for Wilmington, stopping long enough to grab some lunch from a place called Krystal's.
Do you hear dualing banjos too?
  Krystal's is the south's answer to White Castle, but quite a bit nastier.  While White Castle is content to make cheap and sometimes iffy hamburgers, Krystal's takes it one step farther and adds corn dogs, chili dogs and chicken sandwiches into the mix.  They also put mustard and pickles on the sliders (which doesn't make it better at all).  I choked down what I could and put the new Glue album on the stereo, rocking out while zipping across the South Carolina countryside.  Still no cops!  That "Don't Mess With Texas" sticker I placed over the rental car emblem must be working...

I wish I had more to say about South Carolina, but I had fresh Atlantic seafood on my mind, so I just passed on through.  I'll be revisiting it on my way to Florida anyway.

Wilmington, here I come!